Forums > MaxMSP

Midi confusion with APC40

May 30, 2009 | 6:01 pm

I have been working with my APC40 in preparation for Max4Live’s release (whenever that will be). In the mean time I have stumbled up something that confused me. I plugged my APC40 in and fired up MidiOx, and noticed when going through the buttons/faders that the APC40 makes heavy use of both the Data1 and Data2 messages for each button combination. It does not seem like these are sysex/rtm/etc. messages, but multiple data inputs per CC/note on/note off events.

My question is: How does max handle these types of data? Does midiin distinguish between the two? I have searched the forums/google/midi spec but have had no luck so far? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

June 2, 2009 | 9:44 pm

I myself just started using the APC40 in Max, I am starting to work with midi messages from simple midiin and ctlin objects. It is simple enough to figure out how to decode received messages from the APC in Max, but I am really curious how to send it messages as well, such as to access the clip launch buttons and be able to control them in a "Monome" type manner. Any suggestions as to how I could find out this sort of information?

meta_kid wrote on Sat, 30 May 2009 14:01
I have been working with my APC40 in preparation for Max4Live’s release (whenever that will be). In the mean time I have stumbled up something that confused me. I plugged my APC40 in and fired up MidiOx, and noticed when going through the buttons/faders that the APC40 makes heavy use of both the Data1 and Data2 messages for each button combination. It does not seem like these are sysex/rtm/etc. messages, but multiple data inputs per CC/note on/note off events.

My question is: How does max handle these types of data? Does midiin distinguish between the two? I have searched the forums/google/midi spec but have had no luck so far? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

June 3, 2009 | 6:52 pm

Ok, not a helpful response, but I can’t contain myself:
http://lividinstruments.com/hardware_ohm64.php
It’s very easy to figure out how to control the LEDs. Max patches aplenty are provided.

Pete.

June 3, 2009 | 8:04 pm

Where’s the challenge in that!? haha.
That Ohm looks quite impressive as well, I can’t wait to test one out.

June 4, 2009 | 4:38 am

This thing dominates. The faders and knobs are slightly weighted and feel superb. Each grid LED has 3 different colors with both solid and flashing modes. The messages were very easy to decode.

Just to save some people a little time:

Using the midiin/midiout objects:
The top left button on the 5×8 clip control grid is 144 53 1, where 144-151 is the entire top horizontal row, 53-57 is the vertical row going down (the next row down in this case is 54), and 1 is the velocity. The bottom Clip Stop row is 52.

The Velocities are as follows
1 – Green
2 – Green Flashing
3 – Red
4 – Red Flashing
5 – Orange
6 – Orange Flashing

7-127 Are all green.

If you got this far the rest should be simple to decode.

March 11, 2011 | 6:03 pm

Here is a litte example for use the AKAI APC40 and Resolume via Max – APC4MAX…

http://www.realtimespacelab.com/software/apc4resolume.html

January 16, 2013 | 9:05 am

i am looking to figure out how to either use max, or simply edit the remote scripts to help me setup my apc40 (currently apc64-40 Hanscripted) to work hand in hand with the JX3P editor that was released for max.

Essentially I am looking to modify some of the button’s behavior. Some of the buttons are mapped to parameters that cycle through menus. So for example, one menus would have 4 options, so pressing the button on the APC40 four times would cycle once through the menu. I am looking to modify the behavior so in a case like this the button would illuminate green, yellow, red, then blinking red, with each press of the button. This way I would know which parameter has been selected.

IN other cases there are simply on/off buttons which is fine the way it currently works, that one press in ON and another press is OFF.

I am wondering how to accomplish this. At this point I have been able to choose which color the buttons are by editing the matrix maps.py file of the hanscript that i am using.

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Mikee

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)