Forums > MaxMSP

midi dump for controller patch

October 8, 2007 | 2:24 pm

I was wondering if there is a way to make a something like a midi dump from external gear, for example a beat box and send this data to a maxmsp patch. so if I change the preset in the beat
box I always receive a update of all the controller values of the beat box in the max controller patch without creating a feedback.
every help will be much appreciated.

October 8, 2007 | 5:45 pm

Quote: monomen wrote on Mon, 08 October 2007 07:24
—————————————————-
> I was wondering if there is a way to make a something like a midi dump from external gear, for example a beat box and send this data to a maxmsp patch. so if I change the preset in the beat
> box I always receive a update of all the controller values of the beat box in the max controller patch without creating a feedback.
> every help will be much appreciated.
>
—————————————————-

I think it depends on the external gear.

As an example, I have a PodXT which I use for effects. I’ve made some Max patches that communicate with it via MIDI so I can control it more easily. When I turn a knob on the gear, I can get a knob to turn in Max and vice versa. But when I switch presets on the gear, it doesn’t dump the settings via MIDI so Max gets out of sync. This is a limitation in the hardware because it was not programmed to send its state when the preset changes, and there is no way to do a dump of the current state.

I have software that let’s me save and dump presets to that gear, so it is possible. But it uses a lot of proprietary SYSEX messages, and I think it would be a lot of work reverse engineering that and getting it to work in Max. I didn’t feel it was worth the effort so I ended up doing all my preset management in the Max patch itself.

On the other hand, I have a MIDI controller which has a button to dump the state of the entire device over MIDI, so it is easy in this case because the hardware designer provided the feature I needed.

So really it depends on whether the gear provides a feature to do the dumping, otherwise you’d probably have to do a lot of SYSEX hacking. I’d suggest you use some MIDI monitoring software and watch what messages your gear sends to the computer and see what you can do with it.

-Adam

October 9, 2007 | 4:41 pm

Hi Adam, thanks for the reply.,
The idea came from software like sounddiver, but it seems to be a hard way o do that. :(

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)