midi files and max

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:25pm

midi files and max

A few questions:
Is it possible to play midi files in max/msp.
If so, how do I set that up?
Is it then possible to create another midi file or programmed material, like a piano piece (not audio, like the granular synthesis of say Kyma, where you can morph one sound into another, it’s interesting the first time you hear it, but then it becomes an audio trick ) In this scenario you would modulate the midi events, or program of the second piece with the first so you could “morph”, sonically, in real time back and forth. With a fader, you could find a place in the middle where both pieces would be modulating, equally obscuring each other, creating a third piece, extrapolated from the two, with elements of each, etc….
On that same line could you then play a midi file, or program of any familiar tune and modulate it with a random note patterns or events, thus “taking it out” in incremental values on the fader to go from simply triggering the song to play normally, on the one end to “piping in varying degrees of randomness, until ultimately you would have something sounding like a sample hold pattern, but you could have control over the finite degrees of the change? You could just add a bit af randomness, or a lot, creating a new piece of music…..Or an interesting method of improvisation.
food for thought, I have no idea how to do it, does anyone have any ideas if this kind of thing is possible? ??

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:11pm

sounds like Max is for you. all this and much more than you ever thought of is possible, but you gotta learn the ropes… start slow and read those tutorials, manuals, and help files.

As you develop some of the parts of your ideas and get stuck you can post bits up here and people will help you out. of course, the more you can find on your own, the better…

just assuring you that yes, these tings are quite possible, and as you develop, you’ll find a million other things you can do and ways to control the parameters and such. If you like to fiddle with MIDI and audio (not to mention graphics and video) and their attributes / parameters, you’re definitely in the right place.

-C

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:38pm

thanks I have been diving heavily into the tutorials and I’m looking for some workshops and the like.
Sometimes the tutorials are frustrating besause some patches don’t seem to work on my system, maybe I need to reload. Some objects seem to be absent etc.
Mostly it’s just slogging through and wanting to get there before I am there (;
Can’t lean on the forum to do my homework…
cheers

Mar 13, 2007 at 1:37am

I am trying to use but Tristan Jehan’s pitch~ abstraction but I keep
error messages saying no such object for pitch~ and pitch.mxo……
Is this to do with the following note:

> If running Mac OS 10.4.6 or later:
> you must have vecLib.framework installed in your /System/Library/
> Frameworks

If so, where can I find vecLib.framework to install? I googled but to
no avail….. Thanks! Robbie

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:07am

hey mykeymuse@mac.com,

its not normal for the tutorial patches to have missing objects, just so you know. Don’t know why that’s your case, but if it continues i would suggest reinstalling. being as first impressions are important, I think it’s wise to do so as the tutorials have had a lot of work put into by cycling and to appear the opposite may hinder your ability to trust in the documentation, which is the best I’ve ever seen in an app.

jamez

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.