Midi from M4L to APC40 different midi channels

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:52am

Midi from M4L to APC40 different midi channels

Hello,
I’m trying to get my led feedback to the apc40 from live by using a patch.

But because grid pad notes on the apc40 are all the same in each rows but from different channels according to the column and since “midi to” selector in my Live midi track allows me to only select one single midi channel at a time, how the fucking hell can I select grid pads to react to midi messages others than the ones on the first column on the apc (first channel)

Can someone help me please ?
Thank you,

NB

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:00pm

LED feedback to the APC40 from Max4Live is handled through the control surface not through Midi Messages, the only exception to this rule is the lighting style of the encoders which has to be done via midi, that said this is handled on one channel (1)….

If you look at http://www.maxforlive.info you’ll find a wiki page on disabling various functions of the APC so that they stop reacting in the standard way allowing you to reprogramme different functionality…

http://www.isotonikstudios.com

Cheers
D

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:28pm

BIM !!!! This was not excepted ! :S
Now I have to get back from the beginning but I guess it would be easier at the end !
Hum, I’ll do that tomorrow. Thank you

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:40pm

you can go the control surface way or you can use 3rd party midiout externals if you still wanna do it with midi (which is often the better way).
on mac check out lh.midi on windows check jmidi at the end of this thread http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=23426

the java solution has some timing jitter but that doesn’t matter for sending led feedback to a controller (and is the same with live api calls), it’s probably not really useable as realtime midiin.
that’s my expirience with it. unfortunately nobody did a lh.midi-like external for windows yet. (and i need some more years learning C). That limitation is what makes it m4l and not max i think.
O.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:48pm

Hello Darren,
here is a patch I made. Can you take some times to check it out ?
The value of the looper parameter 1 controls led buttons in live because I had no control surface (apc) with me when I made it. Also because I have no idea how to use the control remote api to do so.
I even canno’t find this m4l.api … It’s not in the chooser nor abstraction list in max. Do you know where I can find it ?
From this patch, could you please guide me through some steps to make me able to send those values to the apc grid ?
(

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

)

Thank you very much,

Ben

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:08pm

Of course, If I don’t explain what I’m trying to achieve, it may be difficult for you to understand.
I’m a drummer, so my first track is BD, second is SD and last one is OH. On each track, I put a audio effect rack with 3 – 4 chains with one looper inside. So I can have 3 – 4 loops of a complete drum set.

Attachments:
  1. APCGRIDLOOPER.als

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.