Forums > MaxMSP

Midi In Filtering

January 25, 2010 | 3:05 am

Hello All,

I’m fairly new at this so…please be gentle. ;)

I would like to separate a stream of incoming midi data by channel number. I would then be able to tell messages on ch. 1 to take a different action then messages on ch. 2.

Here is what I have so far:

Midiin connected to midiparse. Would my next step be to create a conditional if / then / else statement? I have searched the help tutorials, but with little luck.

I assume if / then / else statements are written into objects. Is this correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

January 25, 2010 | 3:35 am

Use the last outlet of [midiparse] to control the routing of a [gate 2] and you’ll get one channel from each outlet.

lh

January 25, 2010 | 3:52 pm

midiselect might be useful as well, maybe not in your case, but as it’s new since 5.1 it’s worth mentioning it.

January 25, 2010 | 4:12 pm

Bonjour ej,

while we’re on this topic, I’m actually playing with 14bits pichbend and discovered that midiselect only send the 7 MSB bits. No @xben attribute?

January 30, 2010 | 6:32 am

I solved this issue by connecting midiparse outlet 4 to a number field, then using the select object to filter. Kind of like a simple if, then, else…but without the if, then, else.

January 30, 2010 | 5:12 pm

@Patrick midiselect is based on midiparse which is the reason why it doesn’t support 14 bits bending. I can add that too my list, but there’s no promise if/when this would happen.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)