MIDI panning; MSP tutorial 22 question

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:48am

MIDI panning; MSP tutorial 22 question

Once again working on some teaching materials, this time regarding panning, so I looked up MSP tutorial 22. Testing the example patch (22mMIDIPanning) I think the “equal distance crossfade” produces a pronounced increase in overall gain as the panning approaches center. Shouldn’t the gain remain about flat?
I could easily be missing something here; please enlighten me. A test patch (at least I think it tests) is here:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Jun 14, 2011 at 3:42am

Oh, I get it now. The sum of the two outputs squared is always 1 or very close to it.
The higher combined power at center panning is what creates the impression of the sound source moving in an arc.

Oh, I get it now. The sum of the two outputs squared is always 1 or very close to it.
The higher combined power at center panning is what creates the impression of the sound source moving in an arc.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.