Forums > MaxMSP

MIDI Problem!

January 25, 2007 | 9:57 pm

on a powerbook G4 titanium, running OSX 10.3.9, i am using a BCR2000 controller sending MIDI data into max.. it works fine for a short burst, then no midi data is receieved in max.

i can (sometimes) very temorarily resolve the issue by ‘rescaning midi’ in Audio MIDI setup or powering of/on the BCR. then midi data stops getting recieved again after a short time.

the same thing effectivly happens if i ‘test setup’ in ‘Audio MIDI setup’.

i have uninstalled alesis firewire audio drivers that i thought might conflict, i have deleted midi prefs + configuration settings etc, i have repaired disk permissions… i cannot get a driver for the BCR because there isnt one.. the firmware is up to date.. i have disabled automatic ‘software updates’ (which apparently corrupts Audio MIDI setup stuff)..

but no still no joy.

if anyone can help i will be very very happy. this is driving me mad.

thanks.

January 25, 2007 | 11:28 pm

See if it happens with the BCR2000 in other apps. If it does, there’s your problem. Do you have other external MIDI gear with the same problem in Max?

Quote: greypa wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 13:57
—————————————————-
> on a powerbook G4 titanium, running OSX 10.3.9, i am using a BCR2000 controller sending MIDI data into max.. it works fine for a short burst, then no midi data is receieved in max.
>
> i can (sometimes) very temorarily resolve the issue by ‘rescaning midi’ in Audio MIDI setup or powering of/on the BCR. then midi data stops getting recieved again after a short time.
>
> the same thing effectivly happens if i ‘test setup’ in ‘Audio MIDI setup’.
>
> i have uninstalled alesis firewire audio drivers that i thought might conflict, i have deleted midi prefs + configuration settings etc, i have repaired disk permissions… i cannot get a driver for the BCR because there isnt one.. the firmware is up to date.. i have disabled automatic ‘software updates’ (which apparently corrupts Audio MIDI setup stuff)..
>
> but no still no joy.
>
> if anyone can help i will be very very happy. this is driving me mad.
>
> thanks.
>
—————————————————-

January 26, 2007 | 10:10 am

seems the same in all apps:

pure data
max/msp
cubase
midi monitor
audio midi setup

i am only using the bcr for midi – no other midi gear.

could something be interrupting the system recognising the bcr? i tried switching off airport (long shot), and thought id had some success.. but it was just a temporary burst of functionality until the same thing happened.

i have that horrible feeling that this might end up with reinstalling OSX. i really dont want to have to do that.

thanks

January 26, 2007 | 10:11 am

seems the same in all apps:

pure data
max/msp
cubase
midi monitor
audio midi setup

i am only using the bcr for midi – no other midi gear.

could something be interrupting the system recognising the bcr? a network issue? i tried switching off airport (long shot), and thought id had some success.. but it was just a temporary burst of functionality until the same thing happened.

i have that horrible feeling that this might end up with reinstalling OSX. i really dont want to have to do that.

thanks

January 26, 2007 | 10:35 am

On 26 janv. 07, at 11:10, paul wrote:

>
> i have that horrible feeling that this might end up with reinstalling
> OSX. i really dont want to have to do that.

I would first try your wonderfull behringer hardware with another
computer…

Centre de Recherches et de Formation Musicales de Wallonie asbl

http://users.skynet.be/crfmw/max

January 26, 2007 | 9:40 pm

If it’s a new piece of gear in your arsenal you might also take it back to the shop, laptop in tow, and try another one on your machine….i.e. first sort out if it’s your computer or the Behringer who is misbehaving. Or even go to a store acting like you need to buy one and have them let you try a floor model…unless this seems like more work than a full reinstall. :) Also, any friends with a different piece of USB MIDI gear you could test on your laptop?

Quote: Patrick Delges wrote on Fri, 26 January 2007 02:35
—————————————————-
>
> On 26 janv. 07, at 11:10, paul wrote:
>
> >
> > i have that horrible feeling that this might end up with reinstalling
> > OSX. i really dont want to have to do that.
>
> I would first try your wonderfull behringer hardware with another
> computer…
>
> _____________________________
> Patrick Delges
>
> Centre de Recherches et de Formation Musicales de Wallonie asbl
> http://users.skynet.be/crfmw/max
>
>
—————————————————-

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)