Forums > MaxMSP

MIDI Setup problem

August 13, 2008 | 3:25 am

Hi list,

I’m still pretty much a newbie, so sorry if this is a dumb question…

I’ve got an 8-port MIDI interface, and all the inputs and outputs are set up with abbreviations "a" to "h" and offsets of 0 to 112, but if it isn’t switched on and plugged in when I boot Max (5.0.4, in case it matters) all of those settings disappear, never to return.

It’s getting to be quite a PITA resetting them every time I forget to turn on and plug in the interface before booting Max, or after I’ve done some work in Max away from home, or in the lounge room or the back yard…

Am I doing something wrong, is or this simply how Max works?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

August 13, 2008 | 10:21 am

Quote: Bill Canty wrote on Wed, 13 August 2008 05:25
—————————————————-
> Hi list,
>
> I’m still pretty much a newbie, so sorry if this is a dumb question…
>
> I’ve got an 8-port MIDI interface, and all the inputs and outputs are set up with abbreviations "a" to "h" and offsets of 0 to 112, but if it isn’t switched on and plugged in when I boot Max (5.0.4, in case it matters) all of those settings disappear, never to return.
>
> It’s getting to be quite a PITA resetting them every time I forget to turn on and plug in the interface before booting Max, or after I’ve done some work in Max away from home, or in the lounge room or the back yard…
>
> Am I doing something wrong, is or this simply how Max works?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bill
—————————————————-

hello Bill,

this bugs me too

maybe there is a way to fix it.

Personnaly I decided to use the explicit midi port’s name as an argument instead of letter.

Give it a try

August 13, 2008 | 10:59 am

Hi.
One other thing you may try is to make a standalone application with Max
that receives MIDI and transfers it to your patches via OSC (and
udpsend/udpreceive).
Of course you then need to replace your midiin objects with a selfmade
receiver from this app but it can save you rebooting a patch in case
your midi hardware is disconnected for example.
Maybe it would also work for your problem as you would perhaps only need
to reopen this small app and not max (without interfering with your
opened patches).
HTH

Ciao

August 13, 2008 | 12:09 pm

Quote: Olivier Sebillotte wrote on Wed, 13 August 2008 12:21
—————————————————-

>
> hello Bill,
>
> this bugs me too
>
> maybe there is a way to fix it.
>
> Personnaly I decided to use the explicit midi port’s name as an argument instead of letter.
>
> Give it a try
—————————————————-

one more thing:

if you are on OSX open utility/audio&midi setup application.
Then create midi devices and patch them.
Now most of the applications will see the devices as midi port instead of midi interface’s ports.
It save some time and confusion.

August 13, 2008 | 11:34 pm

Thanks for your replies, Olivier and gusanomaxlist. :-)

Always preferring a simple solution, after reading Olivier’s replies I found that this works pretty well:

In the "Audio MIDI Setup" application I’ve renamed all of my MIDI devices with abbreviated names, e.g. jv instead of JV-1010, xv instead of XV-5080, etc. (I thought of renaming them a, b, c, etc. but wondered whether that might confuse Max.)

Back in Max, using 2-letter device/port names as arguments instead of single-letter abbreviations is pretty neat. It has also magically fixed a problem I was having with "ctlin". And, as you said, Olivier, it saves time and confusion.

Thanks again, guys!

Cheers, Bill

August 13, 2008 | 11:40 pm

PS: It seems a bit strange to me that this *is* how Max naturally behaves, i.e. forgetting the MIDI setup info so easily. It’s like a hangover from pre-laptop days. Or something.

Do Cycling74 staff monitor these forums, or do we need to specifically make feature requests somewhere?

August 14, 2008 | 7:39 am

Bill Canty schrieb:
> Do Cycling74 staff monitor these forums, or do we need to
> specifically make feature requests somewhere?

I am pretty sure they do, which doesn’t say anything about the priority
a request will be dealt with.

To formulate the specific request more robust:

I would like that Max/MSP will recover changes of devices without the
need of restarting the program. plugging in and out devices is normal on
laptops. Most users use laptops nowadays, which hopefully will lead to
the insight that this has a HIGH priority for users (especially those
who play live!!!)….

If Max is capable of detecting a change of a driver (I get a message in
the Max window), please just reinitialise the appropriate part of your
drivers list and whatever is necessary to readjust. Other programs have
no problem with that at all (which lets me believe its a solvable
problem)…
This is a request not only for Midi drivers, also, even much more
important, for audio drivers!!!

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

August 14, 2008 | 7:49 am

I am very gald this helps you Bill :-)

Quote: Bill Canty wrote on Thu, 14 August 2008 01:34
—————————————————-
> Thanks for your replies, Olivier and gusanomaxlist. :-)
>
> Always preferring a simple solution, after reading Olivier’s replies I found that this works pretty well:
>
> In the "Audio MIDI Setup" application I’ve renamed all of my MIDI devices with abbreviated names, e.g. jv instead of JV-1010, xv instead of XV-5080, etc. (I thought of renaming them a, b, c, etc. but wondered whether that might confuse Max.)
>
> Back in Max, using 2-letter device/port names as arguments instead of single-letter abbreviations is pretty neat. It has also magically fixed a problem I was having with "ctlin". And, as you said, Olivier, it saves time and confusion.
>
> Thanks again, guys!
>
> Cheers, Bill
—————————————————-

August 14, 2008 | 8:37 pm

Bill Canty wrote:
> Do Cycling74 staff monitor these forums, or do we need to
> specifically make feature requests somewhere?

Cycling74 staff do monitor these forums, however, it would be better to start a new topic and write something like [feature request] as part of the topic-title, rather than pin the request at the end of a topic named "MIDI setup problem"(they are likely to still find it no matter what but sometimes things can slip through without notice as they are only a few people with limited time). As for priority, if you’d like it to have more priority, go ahead and create the topic so people can discuss but also be sure to send it directly to support at cycling seventyfour dot com so that they can see and consider it sooner.

August 14, 2008 | 10:18 pm

Quote: Bill Canty wrote on Thu, 14 August 2008 01:40
—————————————————-
> PS: It seems a bit strange to me that this *is* how Max naturally behaves, i.e. forgetting the MIDI setup info so easily. It’s like a hangover from pre-laptop days. Or something.
—————————————————-

And yet another one who wants to escape the dead fish "Logic Environment"…
Welcome Bill :-)

Regarding the "forgotten" MIDI ports, this is quite common. Set them by name with a [loadbang] to a message box, then they will be always correct when you open the patch (assuming that the port exists of course).

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

August 15, 2008 | 7:58 am

May I add little enhancement to your patch Peter ;-)

Quote: Peter Ostry wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 00:18
—————————————————-
> Quote: Bill Canty wrote on Thu, 14 August 2008 01:40
> —————————————————-
> > PS: It seems a bit strange to me that this *is* how Max naturally behaves, i.e. forgetting the MIDI setup info so easily. It’s like a hangover from pre-laptop days. Or something.
> —————————————————-
>
> And yet another one who wants to escape the dead fish "Logic Environment"…
> Welcome Bill :-)
>
> Regarding the "forgotten" MIDI ports, this is quite common. Set them by name with a [loadbang] to a message box, then they will be always correct when you open the patch (assuming that the port exists of course).
>
>
>

>
>
—————————————————-

August 15, 2008 | 11:31 am

Thanks RabidRaja (what a great name!),

I’ll keep your answer in mind for future possibilities, but right now I’m really happy with the solution Olivier helped me come up with – it’s even better than if Max simply remembered the MIDI Setup settings.

Cheers, Bill

August 15, 2008 | 11:50 am

Quote: Peter Ostry wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 08:18
> Regarding the "forgotten" MIDI ports, this is quite common. Set them by name with a [loadbang] to a message box, then they will be always correct when you open the patch (assuming that the port exists of course).

Thanks Peter, but I’ve been pleasantly surprized at how slick the solution is that Olivier helped me come up with (especially after another day of using it) i.e. using the "Audio MIDI Setup" application to give all MIDI devices 2-letter abbreviated names.

In Max it’s virtually as neat and tidy as single-letter abbreviations. But it’s MUCH easier to remember what’s what. And if I ever change the ports in Audio MIDI Setup one day I won’t have to change anything in Max, e.g. "kx" will still be the KX88 no matter which port it’s connected to. And no more resetting the abbreviations and offsets in Max’s MIDI Setup!

2 potential flies in the ointment: if I get a new master keyboard one day I’ll have to change all instances of "kx" to whatever the new one is, and no specifying port and channel with one number.

Oh well…

August 15, 2008 | 12:25 pm

Quote: Bill Canty wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 13:50
—————————————————-
And if I ever change the ports in Audio MIDI Setup one day I won’t have to change anything in Max, e.g. "kx" will still be the KX88 no matter which port it’s connected to. And no more resetting the abbreviations and offsets in Max’s MIDI Setup!
>
> 2 potential flies in the ointment: if I get a new master keyboard one day I’ll have to change all instances of "kx" to whatever the new one is, and no specifying port and channel with one number.
>
> Oh well…
—————————————————-

YAMAHA KX 88
Jesus !
this one is so old, if it is still there now, it will be in another two decades ;-)

August 15, 2008 | 12:34 pm

Quote: Olivier Sebillotte wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 22:25
—————————————————-
> YAMAHA KX 88
> Jesus !
> this one is so old, if it is still there now, it will be in another two decades ;-)

Yep – still there and still going strong! Although, it needs some minor repairs done, just like its owner… ;-)

August 15, 2008 | 2:19 pm

By the way, I discovered today that the [hi] object, doesn’t update until you reboot Max :(

So if you plug or unplug any device while max is running, you can’t use it unless you reboot !

August 15, 2008 | 3:10 pm

Quote: Olivier Sebillotte wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 09:58
—————————————————-
> May I add little enhancement to your patch Peter ;-)
—————————————————-

Only one object?
Not what I call a fashionable look :-)

August 15, 2008 | 3:40 pm

Quote: Peter Ostry wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 17:10
—————————————————-
>
> Only one object?
> Not what I call a fashionable look :-)
>
—————————————————-

French fashion ;-)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)