Forums > MaxMSP

MIDI USB Devices into Max

November 22, 2006 | 9:58 am

Maybe a basic question but I am pretty new to this

Do I need hardware specific drivers to use USB MIDI devices into max/MSP?
I thought, until today, that the HI object could read and transfer all data in at the USB socket.

I have used a USB Joystick and Dance mat with no problem but now I plug in an Edirol USB keyboard and there is nothing there. The MIDIin doesn’t show in it’s menu and the HI does not show data.

I want to purchase and use one of those new USB DJ controllers but want to find a way around having to install drivers if possible.

Cheers
Adrian


November 22, 2006 | 3:40 pm

On 22 Nov 2006, at 09:58, Adrian wrote:

> Do I need hardware specific drivers to use USB MIDI devices into
> max/MSP?
> I thought, until today, that the HI object could read and transfer
> all data in at the USB socket.

The [hi] object can read HID-compliant USB devices. MIDI interfaces
aren’t.

– N.

nick rothwell — composition, systems, performance — http://
http://www.cassiel.com


November 22, 2006 | 3:53 pm

Adrian wrote:
> Do I need hardware specific drivers to use USB MIDI devices into
> max/MSP? I thought, until today, that the HI object could read and
> transfer all data in at the USB socket.

Unfortyunately not…

> I have used a USB Joystick and Dance mat with no problem but now I
> plug in an Edirol USB keyboard and there is nothing there. The MIDIin
> doesn’t show in it’s menu and the HI does not show data.

A keyboard is usually not a HI compliant device, but a Midi interface…
An Edirol should work out of the box with CoreMidi, did you restart Max?

> I want to purchase and use one of those new USB DJ controllers but
> want to find a way around having to install drivers if possible.

I would not count on DJ Manufacturers to do it properly, it might be
neither Hi nor Midi. As far as I see most of them don’t know about other
operating systems than Windows, and in Windows Midi interfaces usually
do need a driver (I might be wrong, but it was always several magnitudes
less plug and play than a Mac)

I would take my Mac to the shop and test it there…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


November 22, 2006 | 11:29 pm

My experience has been that although certain (not all) devices work without their specific drivers in Windows, they definitly work better and more consistantly WITH the drivers. I can say that this is particularly true with MIDI devices, because they seem to be recognized by the OS, but get the OS gets confused when they are plugged into other ports, when other devices are plugged in, when the temperature changes more than 3 degrees, when my neighbor turns on the hot water, etc. I have also experienced what seem to be conflicts between drivers, but only when trying to use more than one similar device (i.e. two different MIDI-adaptors, two separate Webcams, etc.)


November 22, 2006 | 11:37 pm

Oh… as Stefan already said, [HI] is for devices including Joysticks, sketchpads and the like; it has nothing to do with MIDI. I can’t supply you with a list of [HI] devices, although it would be interesting to see such a list. Motion-Tracking bodysuits? Pressure-Sensitive espresso-trackers? (I have always just assumed that the [HI] object reads data from devices which register as Joysticks in one way or another; I must get around to finding the parameters some day, they may be more interesting that one may imagine.)


November 23, 2006 | 3:48 am


November 23, 2006 | 11:18 am

Thanks for all your replies
this has really cleared up some of my confusion

What about a new Max object that reads MIDI (or any for that matter) information recieved at the USB port?

Maybe there is one out there already. I don’t really see how Max can simply ignore the output. There must be a way of reading it.

thanks again. I will certainly try before I buy


November 28, 2006 | 10:47 pm

Dayton wrote:
> My experience has been that although certain (not all) devices work
> without their specific drivers in Windows, they definitly work better
> and more consistantly WITH the drivers. I can say that this is
> particularly true with MIDI devices, because they seem to be
> recognized by the OS, but get the OS gets confused when they are
> plugged into other ports, when other devices are plugged in, when the
> temperature changes more than 3 degrees, when my neighbor turns on
> the hot water, etc. I have also experienced what seem to be
> conflicts between drivers, but only when trying to use more than one
> similar device (i.e. two different MIDI-adaptors, two separate
> Webcams, etc.)

You seem to be a Mac envangelist with profound knowledge backed by real
life experience… ;-)

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


December 2, 2006 | 7:21 am

I’ve been fiddling with a USB-based controller (custom-built by my much more electronics-savvy brother) for the purposes of getting data into Max. It won’t work as either a HI object nor as a MIDI controller-in / ctlin (though there are MIDI outs on the board if needed, in the future).

Using USB poses the problem of not being instantly recognized by Max as MIDI data, but offers the benefit of higher bandwidth and a simple merge (I’ll have four identical control boards eventually…these can be plugged into an inexpensive USB hub…much cheaper than a 4-port MIDI merge). The OS deals with the separate USB devices by assigning them unique COM1 COM3 etc. names.

If you use a USB device you should be able to see the data via the serial object, though I don’t know what the data will look like (or how it is set up / indexed, etc., this depends on the device. Right there’s the advantage of custom electronics, you can use any kind of indexing and data values you want ;-) but of course….my brother did it all… so… I didn’t have to deal with that pesky learning curve… heh.

Try that out, generate the list of available devices using the print message to the serial object. Then set the serial object to the appropriate name for your device (using the port message). Baud rate can be 115200 (fast, standard). Other settings = default. Then get your data and route away!

–CJ


December 2, 2006 | 8:27 am

try the demo version of junxtion by steim

with my interface worked well

tom

http://ultimatetoma.mamito.com

Il giorno 02/dic/06, alle ore 08:21, Seejay James ha scritto:

>
> I’ve been fiddling with a USB-based controller (custom-built by my
> much more electronics-savvy brother) for the purposes of getting
> data into Max. It won’t work as either a HI object nor as a MIDI
> controller-in / ctlin (though there are MIDI outs on the board if
> needed, in the future).
>
> Using USB poses the problem of not being instantly recognized by
> Max as MIDI data, but offers the benefit of higher bandwidth and a
> simple merge (I’ll have four identical control boards
> eventually…these can be plugged into an inexpensive USB
> hub…much cheaper than a 4-port MIDI merge). The OS deals with the
> separate USB devices by assigning them unique COM1 COM3 etc. names.
>
> If you use a USB device you should be able to see the data via the
> serial object, though I don’t know what the data will look like (or
> how it is set up / indexed, etc., this depends on the device. Right
> there’s the advantage of custom electronics, you can use any kind
> of indexing and data values you want ;-) but of course….my
> brother did it all… so… I didn’t have to deal with that pesky
> learning curve… heh.
>
> Try that out, generate the list of available devices using the
> print message to the serial object. Then set the serial object to
> the appropriate name for your device (using the port message). Baud
> rate can be 115200 (fast, standard). Other settings = default. Then
> get your data and route away!
>
> –CJ
>
>
>


Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)