Midi via Bluetooth

Sep 12, 2006 at 4:50pm

Midi via Bluetooth

Hello, I’m part of a electronic music student performance group. We use max frequently to both control sound and add a visual aid to our pieces.
One of our main problems is the large amount of wires running from one side of the stage to the other. We do quite a bit of work with midi controlers and I was wondering if there is a way to send midi data from one bluetooth enabled laptop or computer to another in max.
I was hoping that maybe there’s a way to set the bluetooth chip as a midi device there by allowing one laptop to control a device connected to the other.

Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks!

#27596
Sep 16, 2006 at 3:15pm

You can use bluetooth for serial communication only (with [serial]).
It’s a little bit tricky to do so, you’ll need to use the Bluetooth
serial utility (panther) or go to the Bluetooth system preferences
(Tiger).

Unfortunetly, it won’t be a reliable than MIDI.
you can email me privately if you need help!

Good luck!
PC

On 9/12/06, Rob wrote:
>
> Hello, I’m part of a electronic music student performance group. We use max frequently to both control sound and add a visual aid to our pieces.
> One of our main problems is the large amount of wires running from one side of the stage to the other. We do quite a bit of work with midi controlers and I was wondering if there is a way to send midi data from one bluetooth enabled laptop or computer to another in max.
> I was hoping that maybe there’s a way to set the bluetooth chip as a midi device there by allowing one laptop to control a device connected to the other.
>
> Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks!
>

#83575
Sep 19, 2006 at 3:51pm

Do you both have wireless internet installed? If so then the easiest thing
might be to either make a computer to computer network or bring a
router/switch, and use the updsend and udpreceive objects, (available from
maxobjects.com I’m sure) [mxj maxhole], cnmat, netsend or similar.

I’d be interested in a more detailed description of how to do bluetooth
nonetheless.

thanks
Peter

On 9/16/06, P C wrote:
>
> You can use bluetooth for serial communication only (with [serial]).
> It’s a little bit tricky to do so, you’ll need to use the Bluetooth
> serial utility (panther) or go to the Bluetooth system preferences
> (Tiger).
>
> Unfortunetly, it won’t be a reliable than MIDI.
> you can email me privately if you need help!
>
> Good luck!
> PC
>
>
> On 9/12/06, Rob wrote:
> >
> > Hello, I’m part of a electronic music student performance group. We use
> max frequently to both control sound and add a visual aid to our pieces.
> > One of our main problems is the large amount of wires running from one
> side of the stage to the other. We do quite a bit of work with midi
> controlers and I was wondering if there is a way to send midi data from one
> bluetooth enabled laptop or computer to another in max.
> > I was hoping that maybe there’s a way to set the bluetooth chip as a
> midi device there by allowing one laptop to control a device connected to
> the other.
> >
> > Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks!
> >
>

#83576
Sep 19, 2006 at 4:19pm

Quote: Predictable Disorder wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 09:50
—————————————————-
> I was hoping that maybe there’s a way to set the bluetooth chip as a midi device there by allowing one laptop to control a device connected to the other.
—————————————————-

I understand this is a bit different than what you asked, but M-Audio makes a wireless MIDI controller:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MidAir25-main.html

It has MIDI I/O. I would be afraid to use it in a concert.

mzed

#83577
Sep 19, 2006 at 7:09pm

#83578
Sep 19, 2006 at 7:53pm

Karl-otto & Jean-Francios thanks for your help! i have
another question though (whomever can help would be
appreciated); i want to route the randomly generated
samples to different outputs w/ different samples. Do i
have to make several drop files? My brain is being fried
from staring at the screen in frustration.
-Elder

max v2;
#N vpatcher 100 100 848 687;
#P window setfont “Sans Serif” 9.;
#P window linecount 1;
#P message 311 54 33 196617 clear;
#P flonum 123 219 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222
222 0 0 0;
#P newex 124 247 41 196617 sig~ 1.;
#P message 135 288 85 196617 startloop , loop 1;
#P newex 115 311 75 196617 groove~ green;
#P user waveform~ 401 464 200 74 3 9;
#W mode select;
#W mouseoutput continuous;
#W unit ms;
#W grid 1000.;
#W ticks 0;
#W labels 1;
#W vlabels 0;
#W vticks 1;
#W bpm 120. 4.;
#W frgb 33 0 0;
#W brgb 60 178 173;
#W rgb2 0 95 255;
#W rgb3 0 0 0;
#W rgb4 0 0 0;
#W rgb5 190 137 255;
#W rgb6 100 100 100;
#W rgb7 100 100 100;
#P message 394 411 52 196617 set green;
#P newex 394 381 48 196617 loadbang;
#P newex 309 287 72 196617 buffer~ green;
#P newex 308 264 81 196617 prepend replace;
#P user waveform~ 188 464 200 74 3 9;
#W mode select;
#W mouseoutput continuous;
#W unit ms;
#W grid 1000.;
#W ticks 0;
#W labels 1;
#W vlabels 0;
#W vticks 1;
#W bpm 120. 4.;
#W frgb 33 0 0;
#W brgb 60 178 173;
#W rgb2 0 95 255;
#W rgb3 0 0 0;
#W rgb4 0 0 0;
#W rgb5 190 137 255;
#W rgb6 100 100 100;
#W rgb7 100 100 100;
#P message 181 411 42 196617 set bob;
#P newex 181 381 48 196617 loadbang;
#P newex 566 382 52 196617 select 91;
#P newex 567 353 40 196617 key;
#P number 527 257 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222
222 0 0 0;
#P newex 217 284 62 196617 buffer~ bob;
#P flonum 16 223 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222
0 0 0;
#P user gain~ 83 343 24 100 158 0 1.071519 7.94321 10.;
#P user ezdac~ 72 484 116 517 0;
#P message 46 289 85 196617 startloop , loop 1;
#P newex 17 251 41 196617 sig~ 1.;
#P newex 216 261 81 196617 prepend replace;
#P newex 47 311 65 196617 groove~ bob;
#P button 565 175 30 0;
#P newex 565 215 43 196617 random;
#P message 235 172 33 196617 clear;
#P number 248 69 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222
0 0 0;
#P message 248 88 48 196617 depth $1;
#P number 394 214 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222
222 0 0 0;
#P newex 394 194 72 196617 route populate;
#P newex 171 87 74 196617 prepend prefix;
#P button 48 64 15 0;
#P newex 317 194 75 196617 print populated;
#P newex 48 39 60 196617 prepend set;
#P user dropfile 345 78 615 97 0 fold;
#P newex 171 66 54 196617 route text;
#P user textedit 344 79 614 98 32896 3 9;
#P message 94 88 73 196617 autopopulate 1;
#P user ubumenu 272 172 100 196617 0 1 1 0;
#X prefix_set 0 1 “Main Brain:/Applications/MaxMSP
4.5/S_A_M_P_L_E_S/r2d2 2002/” 4;
#P comment 104 21 289 196617 drag and drop a folder on the
textedit to populate the ubumenu!;
#P window linecount 11;
#P comment 634 209 100 196617 Your help has been quite
fruitful , thank you! There is another question i need to
ask. IF i want to route the same folder filed w/ my samples
to different buffers , causing different files to be
outputed;
#P connect 24 0 20 0;
#P connect 20 0 18 0;
#P connect 21 0 18 0;
#P fasten 6 0 7 0 350 60 110 60 110 35 53 35;
#P connect 7 0 9 0;
#P connect 23 0 22 0;
#P connect 18 0 23 0;
#P connect 37 0 23 0;
#P connect 23 0 22 1;
#P connect 39 0 37 0;
#P connect 38 0 37 0;
#P connect 40 0 39 0;
#P fasten 4 0 5 0 349 60 176 60;
#P connect 5 0 10 0;
#P connect 28 0 30 0;
#P connect 29 0 30 0;
#P connect 30 0 31 0;
#P fasten 2 1 19 0 322 250 221 250;
#P connect 19 0 25 0;
#P connect 14 0 13 0;
#P connect 41 0 2 0;
#P fasten 16 0 2 0 570 331 500 331 500 127 277 127;
#P fasten 13 0 2 0 253 108 277 108;
#P connect 3 0 2 0;
#P fasten 10 0 2 0 176 108 277 108;
#P connect 15 0 2 0;
#P connect 2 1 32 0;
#P connect 32 0 33 0;
#P connect 2 1 8 0;
#P connect 41 0 4 0;
#P fasten 7 0 4 0 53 60 110 60 110 35 349 35;
#P fasten 9 0 4 0 53 83 110 83 110 36 349 36;
#P fasten 2 2 11 0 367 191 399 191;
#P connect 11 0 12 0;
#P connect 28 0 35 0;
#P connect 34 0 35 0;
#P connect 35 0 36 0;
#P connect 16 0 26 0;
#P connect 28 0 17 0;
#P connect 17 0 16 0;
#P connect 27 0 28 0;
#P connect 12 0 16 1;
#P pop;

Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around

http://mail.yahoo.com

#83579
Sep 20, 2006 at 6:06am

Chubb wrote:
> My brain is being fried from staring at the screen in frustration.

better than staring on the screen is going thru examples/tutorials
(again if you did it already) download collections of abstractions and
study them…

The most simple solution is a [gate 2] and decide with [random 2] + 1.

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

#83580

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.