midiparse doesn't show any output

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:54pm

midiparse doesn't show any output

Hello.
I’m i’m creating a very basic max for live patch.
I’m creating a midin object connected to a midiparse object connect to unpacks and numbers to see the output of my track when it’s armed
but for some reason i don’t see any output.

what am i missing ?

this is the patch:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

thank you.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:19pm

There’s nothing wrong with your patch, so probably the MIDI is not getting to Max properly or is not getting to your midiin object. Check the port assignment of your midiin object (double click on it when the patch is locked to get a popup menu of input ports).

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:52am

since it’s an ableton object, there isn’t a popup menu of input ports when i double click on it. Ableton is routing the ports to it. am i missing something ?

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:24am

Are the notes you want to observe coming from an external controller or from a clip?

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:08pm

comes from an external controller. but in general i want to know how to fetch notes that comes from both.

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:17pm

from controller:
- make sure the corresponding port is activated in Live’s preferences
- choose the port as track input (‘Midi From’)
- set Monitor to ‘In’

from clip: set Monitor to ‘Off’.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:07pm

if I unlock this patch
right click on midiin
click on ‘open midi help’
double click on ‘midin a’ in the example
and choose ‘remote sl port 1′ then i see output coming out (because of print port A).

i couldn’t quite understand set Monitor to ‘in’
and from clip to set monitor to off.

in ableton to set to in, and where to off exactly?!

the midi from is configured properly.
when it was all ins and all channels or to specifically the device and channel it didn’t make any difference.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:35pm

Monitor In/Off is set with buttons on the Live track.

[attachment=215178,5041]

Attachments:
  1. Picture1.png
Feb 19, 2013 at 2:46pm

thanks for the screenshot.
it seems that i did understand properly how to configure Ableton.
for some reason notes are not not transferred to max.
I did notice something odd… it may relate it may not…

if I create a clip and add notes to it and try to play it, the play icon just keep changing colors but nothing gets played as if the length of my clip is zero. any ideas? of course i’m not waiting for a sound to appear… but the i’m waiting for the bar to show that it moves around the notes in the order that i chose and it looks as if it doesn’t start playing at all.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:59pm

There is a chapter about ‘launching clips’ in the Live manual.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:35pm

the only reason that the clip wasn’t playing is because my sound card was turned off and the audio input and audio output was set on no device.
and cue out and master out where on red. so sorry for that! things are clearer now :)

welp that’s the only reason things didn’t work. everything works now! i can read data from clips and from my remote sl :)

thanks a lot for your help and patience

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.