Forums > Jitter

more solid edges on jit.phys.body

Per
June 18, 2012 | 10:10 pm

when the colored pieces hit the body they bounces as they should but only if they are hitting the body in slow speed. if the body moves they tend to go right through the body.

is it possible to make the edges more solid and strong so that the colored pieces always bounces, no matter of speed or movement of the body?

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Per
June 19, 2012 | 9:25 pm

or is it possible to make the worldbox in jit.phys.world in a more custom shape?

June 19, 2012 | 9:51 pm

hi Per.. your patch have a poly object not pasted in copy compresed mode..

i found myself in the same situation, when a body goes fast sometimes it cross the wall instead of bounce.. but only sometimes, not predictable…

i didnt find the way to solve this, maybe Robert can give us and advice?

cheers!

Per
June 19, 2012 | 9:54 pm

sorry. here´s the polyobject:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

"when a body goes fast sometimes it cross the wall instead of bounce."

exactly my problem as well. its a bit irritating.

June 19, 2012 | 10:22 pm

the only thing i can think of to suggest is increase your @fixedtimestep and @maxsubsteps.

this will take more CPU power, but might resolve some of these issues.

Per
June 19, 2012 | 10:36 pm

"the only thing i can think of to suggest is increase your @fixedtimestep and @maxsubsteps."

thanks

this improves it some but doesnt solve the problem. when the fixedtimestep is on max 250 and I put maxsubstep on high level as 1000. still the edges are not solid. when a body goes fast sometimes it cross the wall instead of bounce.

theres no fix for this?

June 20, 2012 | 7:58 pm

another possibility is to create a simple rigid body shape that fits inside of the mesh shape, to catch any objects that fall through the mesh.

also, fwiw, the 250 hz limitation will be removed in a future update.

June 22, 2012 | 3:37 pm

per: at least to me the tip from Robert about increasing fixed and maxsteps works great. now fasts balls hitting a wall always bounce back..

thanks Rob!

Per
June 23, 2012 | 11:37 am

yes fast objects are now bouncing but my problem is that when I move fast in front of the webcam in the patch and the orange area hits a ball fast the orange area tend to go right through the objects rather then hitting them.

but if I increase the gravity in jit.phys.world to for example @gravity 0. -500. 0. causing the objects to fly very fast they bounce as they should.

Its when I move my body fast in front of the webcam they´re not bouncing …

any solution?

carsol – do you have the same problem? if not … would you mind upload your patch, or parts of your patch and I can have a look what I might do wrong?

Attachments:
  1. patch.zip

June 23, 2012 | 1:39 pm

hi Per
Have you try with a smaller mesh matrix like 20*20 (100*100 is a very big matrix for this example and may be too much cpu)
if you play with mass, restitution, friction of moving bodys is it better?

mathieu

Per
June 23, 2012 | 10:01 pm

thanks. it now works ok. but its not 100%. guess its not possible to get it 100% solid unfortunately.

I also want to do this the opposite way. instead of letting the objects bounce against a body I also want to put 3D objects inside a body. so in that case use 3D objects as some kind of "texture".

so in the attached patch I want to fill to fill the body with 3D objects but its the same problem here as before. when I move my body fast in front of the webcam the body doesnt stay solid.

any solution?

or any other (and maybe better way) to fill a mesh with 3D objects? as a texture but with 3D objects instead?

thanks

Attachments:
  1. patch2.zip

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)