Forums > Jitter

Motion Capture Data – .bvh import into Max

November 1, 2010 | 3:46 pm

Hi,

I’m working on a research project, and am wondering what work has been done on MoCap with Max/Jitter. Weare working with .bvh data here. Does anyone know of a means of working with this format? A colleague is working on a realtime OSC implementation, I am, however, as of now, looking for a simple means of visualising recorded MoCap data.

Many thanks,
jmt

November 3, 2010 | 7:08 am

we’re working already with an OSC streamer for the arena mocap software, if you could use that we can share (and maybe put some pressure on implementing OSC as a standard) offline I think csv files are more easy implemented in max

December 21, 2010 | 3:22 pm

hi llumen,
we are working with the animazoo igs-190 system. we are also wanting both online and offline implementations.
have a look at motioninplace.org – we are developing a mocap resource for arts and humanities commnities in the u.k.
some chance to work together?

April 2, 2014 | 10:45 pm

i am in the process to create a 3d character and will later have access to a professional motion capturing studio, where movements can be recorded as bhv files. In max i want to control multiple instances of this 3d character (via poly), each one doing a different movement at the same time. Is there now any way to import bhv into max onto a 3d character, or do i need to do the targeting of the mocap files in the 3d-Software (Blender)?
If the latter is true, is it better for max to import a character with just one large animation attached (working with looppoints, see the dwarf in the model.anim.loop example), or one character with multiple seperate animations attached (see Ninja-Example, which doesn’t seem to work…). Or, since each instance of the character just needs to perform one action all the time, shall i export better multiple (identical) characters of which each one has one different animation attached.
Thanks for all tips/hints…

April 11, 2014 | 11:24 pm

ok found out that i can import bvh directly into jit.gl.model -> if i disable it i can still query the attributes of the anim.nodes after i copied them to clipboard and map them onto my character loaded into a second jit.gl.model.

June 16, 2014 | 6:45 am

Hi Tobias, I am also looking on loading different BVHs into max and control a model rigged with those, could you explain to me a bit more what was your process? Im not sure I understood the solution you found! thanks in advance!

June 18, 2014 | 9:35 pm

Hi Martina,

i just made two different jit.gl.models and named them (in this screenshot taken from a tryout patch one is named fu, and the second one in which i loaded the bhv-files is called aniskel). When i created my fu model in Blender, i attached the standard sceleton from the bvh-files onto my character….
In Max i then just used "Copy nodes to clipboard" and connected the parallel nodes, that outputed their rotation / position values on request.

Since there were some minor problems finally i loaded each bvh-file into Blender, modified it a little bit (reset all orientation angles etc…), and exported it as dae files as well, with exactly the same export settings as my fu-model..

Hope that helps

tobias

Attachments:
  1. Screen-Shot-2014-06-19-at-12.24.05

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)