Forums > MaxMSP

Motormix Emulation

August 22, 2008 | 3:37 am

So i’m trying to emulate a motormix/HUI/command-8 in Max – right now I’m using Darwin Grosse’s motormix objects.

I can’t seem to figure out how to set protools up to recognize the virtual motormix as an actual control surface. What should I set my MIDI settings in protools and Max to be? I’ve tried making a new blank object in Audio MIDI setup (on a Mac) and using that as a fake input/output, but it’s not working. All that Protools will recognize as acceptable inputs are my two pieces of MIDI hardware, a Keystation 49e and a BCF2000.

Ideally I’d like to be able to run this entirely virtually, with no need for any actual hardware.

Any thoughts?

August 22, 2008 | 3:50 am

OK, so I figured out how to get the ‘To Max MSP’ 1 and 2 MIDI ports to show up in Protools – but it’s still complaining about not being able to communicate with the motormix.

I can get information from protools into the virtual MM, but not back out of it and into protools.

August 22, 2008 | 4:07 am

A motormix will only work with Pro Tools when in "Pro Tools Mode" –
where it emulates a HUI. My motormix object doesn’t do "Pro Tools
Mode", so there isn’t an easy way to connect it up to that particular
piece of software.

Sorry.

[ddg]
Darwin Grosse

On Aug 21, 2008, at 9:50 PM, mushoo wrote:

>
> OK, so I figured out how to get the ‘To Max MSP’ 1 and 2 MIDI ports
> to show up in Protools – but it’s still complaining about not being
> able to communicate with the motormix.
>
> I can get information from protools into the virtual MM, but not
> back out of it and into protools.

August 22, 2008 | 4:10 am

Aww, well damn. I was hoping this would be an easy way for me to interface into protools. Guess I need to go figure out the HUI spec. >.<

August 22, 2008 | 4:11 am

I will be out of the office from August 7 until August 25 and will not
have access to my email account. If you need assisitance while I am away
please contact Ana Varas at 754-321-2050 or ana.varas@browardschools.com

Thank you

August 22, 2008 | 4:52 am

Anyone have a patch that emulates the HUI sync thing that’s going on? I’ve been experimenting a bit but I can’t quite figure out what’s going on.

Every 800 msec, Protools sends out a midi message of ’144, 0, 0′ – my Behringer in HUI emulation mode seems to respond with ’144, 127, 0′

I’ve tried a setup where max looks for that message, 144-0-0, and responds with 144-127-0 but I guess I’m doing it wrong, or interpreted things wrong.

As per an older thread, I tried setting up Pro Tools using a Command|8, and just returning the ping protools sends out – but that’s not working either. :/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)