Forums > MaxMSP

Mousestate problems

December 4, 2008 | 8:22 pm

I think i’ve seen this topic before but couldn’t track it down in the archives, so first if anyone knows where that is please direct me to it and ill figure it out…

but in the mean time i will tell you my problem. Whenever i open max for the first time and then open my patch, the mousestate button sits there with no ins and outs. If i try to recreate the object max crashes. Sometimes ive gotten it to work by opening a new patch to create a mousestate and then again in my other patch, but this time it just said no such object as mousestate. I have never changed the search path of max and never moved the objects around folders. Does anyone know exactly what the problem is so this wont happen when i really need the thing to work?

December 4, 2008 | 8:35 pm

On Dec 4, 2008, at 12:22 PM, Chris wrote:

> Does anyone know exactly what the problem is so this wont happen
> when i really need the thing to work?

Sounds like you have something else named mousestate.* in your search
path.

- C

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com

MIB
December 4, 2008 | 10:14 pm

you probably named a patch or subpatch mousestate… can’t do that

December 5, 2008 | 12:12 am

Quote: MIB wrote on Thu, 04 December 2008 15:14
—————————————————-
> you probably named a patch or subpatch mousestate… can’t do that
—————————————————-

AHA!! you know i bet that is the problem. I thought that adding caps would be enough difference. guess not.

Thanks to all

December 5, 2008 | 10:26 pm

Never forget that the Mac file system has traditionally been case-insensitive, which has lots of repercussions for systems, like Max, that use file system names as identifiers.

Anyway, relying on case to differentiate identifiers is generally a Really Bad Idea™. So of course Unix and C rely on it;- Bad habit to get into.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)