Movie Framerates…

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:58am

Movie Framerates…

I have 3 pwindows and 1 window.

I have two jit.qt.movie sending out 640×480 with a metro of 10. If I disconnect a bunch of the windows of course the framerate goes way up.

My question is, can I send less data to two of the pwindows. I do not need every frame going to them. And, if so, will this make a difference on the processing? Will I get some framerate back?

Quick diagram:

jit.qt.movie1 +-> pwindow1

->jt.xfade->pwindow3 and window1
/
jit.qt.movie2 +->pwindow2

Thanks!

Rick

#32913
Jul 17, 2007 at 1:15am

jit.change is your new best friend.

(also qlim might be useful)

#108940
Jul 17, 2007 at 1:21am

If you can, avoid sending matrix data directly to pwindow. It uses a
slow quickdraw implementation to put pixel data on screen. You can
either use opengl with pwindow or jit.window to boost your framerate.

wes

On 7/17/07, Perry Hoberman wrote:
>
> jit.change is your new best friend.
>
> (also qlim might be useful)
>
>
>
>

#108941
Jul 17, 2007 at 1:29am

wow, jit.change looks nice! Thanks.

When you say opengl, do you mean draw into a pwindow with opengl? Not sure I follow there.

#108942
Jul 17, 2007 at 1:38am

yes, pwindow can act as an opengl context. Use jit.gl.videoplane to
show your video.

wes

On 7/17/07, Rick Burnett wrote:
>
> wow, jit.change looks nice! Thanks.
>
> When you say opengl, do you mean draw into a pwindow with opengl? Not sure I follow there.
>
>
>

#108943
Jul 17, 2007 at 1:51am

Would that work better or worse than the window option?

Heh, I tried to use ‘window ‘ with the jit.qt.movie but of course, now the outputs send nothing elsewhere. that’s too bad as well.

#108944
Jul 17, 2007 at 1:57am

pwindow is great for debugging jitter patches but is not really useful
in a performance patch because of the way it shows matrix data.
Whether you use jit.window or jit.pwindow with opengl it doesn’t
really matter. They’re pretty equivalent. If you want the image in
your patch, use pwindow, otherwise use jit.window.

HTH,
wes

On 7/17/07, Rick Burnett wrote:
>
> Would that work better or worse than the window option?
>
> Heh, I tried to use ‘window ‘ with the jit.qt.movie but of course, now the outputs send nothing elsewhere. that’s too bad as well.
>

#108945
Jul 17, 2007 at 2:05am

Okay, gotcha.

Now, let me ask. If I am using a window, should I still use opengl for displaying in there too? Would that give the best framerate?

#108946
Jul 17, 2007 at 2:10am

actually jit.window internally uses textures to speed things up. You
can do a little test and see for yourself.

wes

On 7/17/07, Rick Burnett wrote:
>
> Okay, gotcha.
>
> Now, let me ask. If I am using a window, should I still use opengl for displaying in there too? Would that give the best framerate?
>

#108947
Jul 17, 2007 at 2:19am

you can use qlim to slow down the framerate so to speak of the
pwindows, and turn off use onscreen in pwindow for decent speed
increases, but OGL is the way to go.

On Jul 16, 2007, at 10:05 PM, Rick Burnett wrote:

>
> Okay, gotcha.
>
> Now, let me ask. If I am using a window, should I still use opengl
> for displaying in there too? Would that give the best framerate?

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

#108948

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.