Forums > MaxMSP

Moving a process to the background (avoiding Max to freeze up)

September 29, 2010 | 9:25 am

Hi all,

I’m parsing huge files (tens of thousands of lines), which is fine but then once I go through the process of extracting what I need and filling up [coll]s, fair enough – Max is freezing up. I understand that it’s a huge process, but I would like it to be moved to the background. Is it possible?

The patch below is annotated with what I’m trying to do and what I have tried. I have also attached an example file that I’m parsing in case you have [tap.xml.sax] to test it.

Thanks so much for any help.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Attachments:
  1. BigTest.gpx.zip

EMV
September 30, 2010 | 2:18 pm

Do you know java? If you do the most demanding stuff in java (maybe you can avoid using colls that way too), you can have it run in a separate thread so that Max doesn’t lock up.

In the ‘buildingexternalswithjava’ pdf documentation there is a bit about threads that you can use.

September 30, 2010 | 2:30 pm

perhaps you can make a seperate standalone only for this process.
for interacting with your main app, you can use udpsend/udpreceive.

September 30, 2010 | 10:29 pm

@EMV Fancy meeting you here… hehe. Thanks for the response. Sadly I no zilch Java. I’ll ask a friend to see if he can help.

@janette_h That’s a good idea. I’ll test it out, and see if it’s an okay user experience. Thanks!

EMV
October 1, 2010 | 8:46 am

@andrew, yeah, I read this post first and remembered that I’d seen that name before, and then I saw your other post on what you were trying to build :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)