Forums > Jitter

moving into a openGL space

March 4, 2009 | 1:38 pm

Hi all,
i’m trying to build a 3d universe and move the camera inside pointing the mouse on the direction i want to reach. I find it quite difficult. I’d like to giev some coordinates by pointing the mouse on the render window and control a speed parameter to move inside. The problem is feeding the right parameters to the camera base on its current position and "look at" vector. After some trigonometry i thought maybe getting information form the jit.gl.handle would be much easier. Anyone should have tried something similar. Any idea/code sample on how to do that?
Any discussion is much appreciated, i see it quite challenge for me!
Thanks
Alberto

March 4, 2009 | 3:07 pm

I don’t know if it could help you, but you should have a look at AdvancedCamera.pat example?

March 4, 2009 | 3:27 pm

Thanks Kyred it looks really nice! I’ll have a look… Did not think it could be so difficult… but it’s a good starting point saving me lots of maths!
Cheers
Alberto/JesterN

March 4, 2009 | 3:54 pm

I’ve made several different GL navigators here that allow you to fly around 3D-engine-like.

http://www.zacharyseldess.com/z.glNav.html

Processing versions available here:
http://www.zacharyseldess.com/processing-z_3Dnavs.html

best,
Zachary

March 5, 2009 | 6:00 am

Here’s a click-and-drag camera rotation patch that I just whipped up. Made something like this in Processing and have been meaning to put a Max version together. So here it is. Hope someone finds it useful!

best,
Zachary

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

March 5, 2009 | 1:12 pm

Hi Zach, thanks i’ll try your stuff soon. In the mean time i managed to modify the "advanced camera" example and it works quite fine. But i can always learn from more experience user! By the way would it be possible for you to re-post the previous patch in max 4 format? I’m still old school Wink.
Cheers
Alberto / JesterN

March 5, 2009 | 2:06 pm

Here’s a snapshot of the Max5 patch. You can download the patch and run it through that SC converter script – that should work as there are no Max5-only objects.

best,
Zachary

March 5, 2009 | 3:05 pm

Great Thanks
A/J
Smile

March 5, 2009 | 3:10 pm

I just made it into an abstraction, for ease of use. I’ve attached it here, and also included it in my abstraction package on the website. Picture included as well.

best,
Zachary

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)