Forums > Jitter

Moving jit.gl.render from Mac to PC

December 20, 2006 | 10:03 am

Hello

This week I’ve been making my first foray into the world of jit.gl objects. I’ve made a lovely patch that works on my Mac but when I sent it to a friend with a Windows machine he saw nothing rendered but he got the following error message:

error: jit.gl.render ‘interp’ is not a valid argument

When I sent him another version of the patch with ‘interp’ removed from the jit.gl.render object, he saw an image that appeared for a brief moment but got no further. The error this time around was:

error: jit.gl.render could not create texture, uninitialized renderer or invalid context.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I’m really hoping that one of you can tell me I’m doing something stupid and it’s easy to fix because 1) I don’t have a Windows machine 2) I know very little about PCs these days and 3) My friend wants to see some lovely graphics and is sitting 200 miles away.

Thanks

Sarah
PS I’m using Max 4.6 + Jitter 1.5 on an intel Mac. He’s using Max 4.5 + Jitter 1.5 on a PC.

December 20, 2006 | 11:56 am

Hello,

> error: jit.gl.render ‘interp’ is not a valid argument

as far as I know, jit.gl.render does not have that attribute on any
platform. Is your context named interp?

> error: jit.gl.render could not create texture, uninitialized renderer or
> invalid context.

Maybe you and your PC friend have different monitor setups, so the
jit.window might not get created properly? Without the patch, I can only
guess…

> 3) My friend wants to see some lovely graphics and is sitting 200 miles
> away.

I’m certainly more than 200 miles away from you, but would like to see your
lovely patch anyway, and as I’m on PC I’ll be glad to help you make this
patch work across large distances.

best,
nesa

December 20, 2006 | 8:45 pm

Hello

Thanks so much for the advice.

The ‘interp’ thing is a bit of a mystery I must say. In the Jitter notes it says of interp:

interp (message)
Toggles interpolation for the currently selected named texture (default = 0)

But I now realise, from your email, that it’s a message not an attribute and that’s where I’ve been going wrong. I’ve used it like this:

jit.gl.render @interp 1

…which probably means I’ve been an idiot.

It’s a very kind offer of you to look at my patch. Unfortunately, I’m even further from my friend – and my main computer – as I’m working my way up to Manchester this evening to take the fluff out of an exhibit – sorry, more information than you need. But I’ll definitely put ‘interp’ in its rightful place and send it over to you when I get home on Friday morning. I appreciate you may not get a chance to look at it until after the Christmas break but a second opinion from a PC user would be very helpful.
Thanks again

Sarah

December 20, 2006 | 10:02 pm

> jit.gl.render @interp 1

makes no sense, NothingGetsRendered error is probably somewhere else.

Only think that might be different across platforms might be something
related to depth buffering default state, but I really may not speculate any
more without seeing the patch, never mind when.

Have a nice time,
nesa

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)