MP3 playback in MSP

Jan 26, 2007 at 1:57am

MP3 playback in MSP

Hello, I was wondering if there is any object like groove~ that will work with mp3 files?

I did a search, but came up with didley squat.

It would be really nice if there were some sort of external or device that interfaces groove~ to mp3s, or interfaces mp3s to work with groove.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

#29950
Jan 26, 2007 at 3:08am

The groove~ object references a buffer, yes?
Perhaps you might want to have a look at the
manual page for the buffer~ object to see if
there’s a way to import mp3 files into a buffer….

Amazing what’s in those manuals.

#94553
Jan 26, 2007 at 4:23am

Thanks, I probably should’ve mentioned that I’ve checked the documentation already. Yes, the groove~ function works with a buffer~, which can handle aiff, sd2, wav, and a couple of other things, but not mp3.

Still, a search for just ‘mp3′ yielded no search results…

and, well.. it still doesn’t, so even if the topic has been brought up before, ‘mp3′ is for some reason voided as a search term..

That’s a bummer. If anyone has any references or anything, I’m all ears.

Thanks.

#94554
Jan 26, 2007 at 4:37am

kevin wrote:
> Thanks, I probably should’ve mentioned that I’ve checked the
> documentation already. Yes, the groove~ function works with a
> buffer~, which can handle aiff, sd2, wav, and a couple of other
> things, but not mp3.

My search of MSP45ReferenceManual.pdf (for v4.5.5) produced its first
hit on page 75… within the buffer~ section. Which documentation did
you check?

#94555
Jan 26, 2007 at 4:47am

I meant that I searched the forums.

I hadn’t read all of the documentation on the ‘input’ message to buffer~ though. i suppose that may do what i was hoping, though i’m skeptical about conversion time.

i’ll try it out and report back.

it’s still weird that searching for mp3 on the forum doesn’t yield any results though…

#94556
Jan 26, 2007 at 4:55am

yep, that does it all right.

seems like the load time isn’t tooo bad….

thanks for the help!

#94557
Jan 26, 2007 at 7:21am

> it’s still weird that searching for mp3 on the forum doesn’t yield any results though…

Occasionally, something isn’t in the forum because
people found the answer before going online to ask.

#94558
Jan 26, 2007 at 7:42am

Quote: Gregory Taylor wrote on Fri, 26 January 2007 00:21
—————————————————-
> > it’s still weird that searching for mp3 on the forum doesn’t yield any results though…
>
> Occasionally, something isn’t in the forum because
> people found the answer before going online to ask.
—————————————————-

yeah, ok, so some people rtfm better than me, but why doesn’t this thread show up in a search then?

could be an indexing delay i suppose, but that seems rather unlikely.

#94559
Jan 26, 2007 at 9:21am

I don’t think that’s quite fair; it _is_ stange that
it doesn’t show up in a search, and I know that the
question has occured plenty of times, because I was
searching for it myself not so long ago.
Searching the forum for mp3 or .mp3 -> 0
Googling “.mp3 site:cycling74.com/forums” -> 915 hits.
Googling “.mp3 site:synthesisters.com: -> 752 hits.
So someone has asked the question before ;-)
Perhaps Wally might be able to comment on wht the
forum search doesn’t find it, though ?
cheers
Roger

— Gregory Taylor wrote:

>
> > it’s still weird that searching for mp3 on the
> forum doesn’t yield any results though…
>
> Occasionally, something isn’t in the forum because
> people found the answer before going onlin to ask.
> –
> knowledge is not enough/science is not enough/Love
> is dreaming this equation
>

#94560
Jan 26, 2007 at 10:24am

Because the forum search is a shit. It never works, for nothing, gives
you only 2 answers where you know there are dozens… It’ll never
replace the old googling style for the old archives.

f.e

f.e chanfrault | aka | personal computer music
> >>>>>> http://www.personal-computer-music.com
> >>>>>> |sublime music for a desperate people|

ROGER CARRUTHERS wrote:
> I don’t think that’s quite fair; it _is_ stange that
> it doesn’t show up in a search, and I know that the
> question has occured plenty of times, because I was
> searching for it myself not so long ago.
> Searching the forum for mp3 or .mp3 -> 0
> Googling “.mp3 site:cycling74.com/forums” -> 915 hits.
> Googling “.mp3 site:synthesisters.com: -> 752 hits.
> So someone has asked the question before ;-)
> Perhaps Wally might be able to comment on wht the
> forum search doesn’t find it, though ?
> cheers
> Roger
>
> — Gregory Taylor wrote:
>
>
>>> it’s still weird that searching for mp3 on the
>>>
>> forum doesn’t yield any results though…
>>
>> Occasionally, something isn’t in the forum because
>> people found the answer before going onlin to ask.
>> –
>> knowledge is not enough/science is not enough/Love
>> is dreaming this equation
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

#94561
Jan 27, 2007 at 8:21am

This is the way how to load mp3 files into a buffer:

First send the message “import 0 -1 1″ to a buffer~. A file selector appears where you can choose the mp3 you want to import. Once it is loaded, you can play it with groove~ or play~

Hope that helps,

#94562
Jan 29, 2007 at 1:05pm

kevin wrote:
> yeah, ok, so some people rtfm better than me, but why doesn’t this
> thread show up in a search then?

I only search with Google site:synthesisters.com, there is even a max
patch to search the archives or maxobjects. I found the search function
within the forum not functioning at all, but never bothered as Google is
fine for me and I never visit the forum either…
The forum search seems to have never been tested, because very obvious
expected search results don’t show up. (I did not test it for a long
time, but your findings confirm that it still simply doesn’t work…)

And I know for sure, that playing mp3′s is and has always been even a
FAQ on the list…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

#94563
Jan 29, 2007 at 1:31pm

I’m sure you know this already Stefan, but to clarify,
searching synthesisters.com will only search the old
archives; the forum archives are at (surprise,
surprise) cycling74.com/forums, so Googling both these
sites is probably your best bet, (eg. “mp3
site:cycling74.com/forums OR site:synthesisters.com”).
If you are on a Mac, get yourself a copy of
AcidSearch and you can make your own toolbar search
channel for this,
cheers
Roger
— Stefan Tiedje wrote:

> kevin wrote:
> > yeah, ok, so some people rtfm better than me, but
> why doesn’t this
> > thread show up in a search then?
>
> I only search with Google site:synthesisters.com,
> there is even a max
> patch to search the archives or maxobjects. I found
> the search function
> within the forum not functioning at all, but never
> bothered as Google is
> fine for me and I never visit the forum either…
> The forum search seems to have never been tested,
> because very obvious
> expected search results don’t show up. (I did not
> test it for a long
> time, but your findings confirm that it still simply
> doesn’t work…)
>
> And I know for sure, that playing mp3′s is and has
> always been even a
> FAQ on the list…
>
> Stefan
>
> —
> Stefan Tiedje————x——-
> –_____———–|————–
> –(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
> — _|_)—-|—–()————–
> ———-()——–www.ccmix.com
>
>

#94564
Jan 30, 2007 at 12:05pm

ROGER CARRUTHERS wrote:
> If you are on a Mac, get yourself a copy of
> AcidSearch and you can make your own toolbar search
> channel for this,

Should say if I’d use Safari, but I run the web with Firefox. There is
also Rollyo which allows to create customised search engines. Mine is
set to synthesister, cycling74 and Maxobjects…

Personaly I actually search local on my mail archives, since years I
keep all messages of the list in Thunderbird. That way I even find
messages while sitting in the metro…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

#94565

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.