MPC Groove Quantize

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:33pm

MPC Groove Quantize

Is there any external object or patch out there that can replicate the groove percentage settings on the MPC? I’m using Ableton Live as my main sequencer and would really like to inject some groove into my midi sequences. How difficult would this be to write a patch that does this using only existing objects? Any help would be appreciated.

#38765
Jul 8, 2008 at 9:50pm

Id be really interested to hear if anyone has any ideas on groove maps or templates. the only thing i could find was this, theres some swing stuff at the bottom:

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=132651&rid=5741&S=2d5aab0781baec427531828666418ccf&srch=swing#msg_132651

#135451
Jul 8, 2008 at 11:18pm

This thread will send you in some useful directions.

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=577835&Main=575613

Really this idea that there is anything particularly special about the MPC groove is a myth though. It really just is standard swing. The groove comes from the rock solid timing and the fact its much easier to be groovy when you are using your hands to input ;)

#135452
Jul 9, 2008 at 2:07am

> Really this idea that there is anything particularly special about the MPC groove is a myth though. It really just is standard swing. The groove comes from the rock solid timing and the fact its much easier to be groovy when you are using your hands to input ;)
—————————————————-

well said

#135453
Jul 9, 2008 at 6:12am

>>Really this idea that there is anything particularly special >>about the MPC groove is a myth though. It really just is standard >>swing. The groove comes from the rock solid timing and the fact >>its much easier to be groovy when you are using your hands to >>input ;)

yeah, got that. Im looking to implement a swing function in my Max step sequencer. Ive had an Ensoniq ASRX and some of the swing functions on that thing were nuts. you could add it to a straight 4 floor beat and it would slam it out. thats what im looking for. Thanks for the links. not a logic user but maybe some of it will help…

#135454
Jul 9, 2008 at 6:30am
#135455
Jul 9, 2008 at 2:01pm

Alright, this is where I am at for now – wanted to add a negative delay,
too… but … nah, too much work ;)

Andy

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
#135456
Jul 9, 2008 at 3:35pm

nice patch andy, looks like an interesting way to make crazy groove maps… here’s a patch that does both positive and negative shuffle values.

hth,

J

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
#135457
Jul 9, 2008 at 5:41pm

Thank you. These are all good ideas. All I really wanted was a way to incorporate some swing into my patches. I want to make a drum sequencer program for my monome that features swing controls. I will share my patch when I’m finished.

#135458
Jul 11, 2008 at 11:55pm

Quote: Sub Avian Flow wrote on Wed, 09 July 2008 11:41
—————————————————-
> Thank you. These are all good ideas. All I really wanted was a way to incorporate some swing into my patches. I want to make a drum sequencer program for my monome that features swing controls. I will share my patch when I’m finished.
—————————————————-

Cool… I have intentions to do the same for my 128, just no time :)

#135459
Oct 7, 2008 at 8:32am

has anything happened on this lately?

i’m looking to implement swing into the time.mxb object used in mlr and 64step.

i’ve been looking at the transport object. it’s a shame it doesn’t have swing as a native function.

i’m having some trouble opening these inline attached max 5 files. i get a “patcher file filename.maxpat missing patcher!” error whenever i try.

#135460
Oct 7, 2008 at 6:55pm

kevin schrieb:
> i’m looking to implement swing into the time.mxb object used in mlr
> and 64step.

Any references? I don’t have these objects…
You could also explain what sort of swing you are after…


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

#135461
Oct 7, 2008 at 10:22pm

mlr is here: http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=app:mlr

time.mxb is used in a bpatcher, and nearly (though not entirely) identical to the version used in 64step (here: http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=app:64step)

as for what type of swing, i’d prefer something where you can specify a swing percentage or ratio.

#135462
Oct 8, 2008 at 12:32am

Don’t know if this will do the trick for your mlr retooling, but it was my
best solution for a similar problem and I figured some people might find it
useful. Conceptually its very similar to Ali Momeni’s ali.phasor-groove~
abstraction, with some (internally ugly) workflow-oriented tweaks i found
helpful. Basically, it remaps a phasor~ input using a function / buffer~ /
lookup~ combo. Especially useful (to me) for play~ based playback , when
the function line~ output just isn’t quite right. Shouldn’t be all that
tough to tweak for more specifically groove-oriented purposes. Hope it
helps.

-Mike

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 12:22 AM, kevin wrote:

>
> mlr is here: http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=app:mlr
>
> time.mxb is used in a bpatcher, and nearly (though not entirely) identical
> to the version used in 64step (here:
> http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=app:64step)
>
> as for what type of swing, i’d prefer something where you can specify a
> swing percentage or ratio.
>

#135463
Oct 8, 2008 at 12:54am

hi mike,

your blob of encoded gibberish (that magically turns into what looks like max compatible text when i paste it in max 5) also does not work for me, giving the same error i mentioned in my previous post.

how do i properly open these patches? why isn’t this information in the faq?

#135464
Oct 8, 2008 at 2:29am

Hey Kevin, try “New From Clipboard” from the file menu.
-m

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 2:54 AM, kevin wrote:

>
> hi mike,
>
> your blob of encoded gibberish (that magically turns into what looks like
> max compatible text when i paste it in max 5) also does not work for me,
> giving the same error i mentioned in my previous post.
>
> how do i properly open these patches? why isn’t this information in the
> faq?
>

#135465

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.