Msp and Logic

Apr 13, 2009 at 11:33am

Msp and Logic

Hi everibody. My first time in this forum.
I’m composing with Logic and MAX. What I now want to do is to connect them in a way that I can write a piece in logic (say for piano) and then randomizing it in real time with Max Msp.
Anybody can help me in the process?
And a second question: I would like to use the sample of the plugins I bought for Logic (for ex. Akoustik piano and VSL solo strings) when I play a patch in Max. For ex., if I make a patch for random piano I would like that it could play the Akoustik piano samples instead of the default MSP piano sound. Is there a way?

Thanks a lot for the attention and to who will help me.

Roberto

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:35pm

You can pipe your MIDI into max from logic quite easily, have a look at [midiin] or [notein] to get you started. You could then do some maths on the midi data to shift and scale it in different ways, you might want to look at [split], [scale] and [coll] for creating a lookup table of new values. However if you’re working in real time you couldn’t for example play the midi file you have in logic backwards in max. To do something like that you’d have to export the midi file from logic and import it into max using [seq] or [detonate] and then do some processing.

You should check out the [vst~] object for hosting vsts in max, you can send them midi data just like you would do with your soundcard. There’s also the [fluidsynth~] external which was mentioned in a recent thread for playing soundfonts.

lh

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:29pm

thank you! really precious. Just before I discovered “detonate” and I did my first randomization from a midi file. It really works well, I could randomize the pitch bend, the velocity and adding two more drunk voices to the “clean one” so that slowly the composition … flyes away. Two things still I didn’t get: how to randomize the rithm and (I am ashamed to say, but I never did it before!) how to come out from a Logic project with a midi file. The Bouncing function I use to come out with an .aiff or .wave doesn’t have any midi option.
Any idea. And the rest it’s done!

thanks a lot

Roberto

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:09pm

This isn’t really the logic help forum, but you can select any midi region in logic and go to File->Export->Export Selection as MIDI.

I would highly recommend completely reading the Logic manual. I’ve read it cover to cover several times and it still find new things. Regardless of the fairly shiny interface, Logic can be a very deep program if you want it to be. Its best to get the grips with it early so you aren’t trying to implement solutions in Max that could be done more easily directly in Logic.

In any case, I usually relegate most of my patching ideas to Max. However, having a good understanding of the Logic Environment makes it a great last stop for whatever data you’ve been generating in Max and feeding into Logic.

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:52pm

Thank you Nick. Done! I’ve been actually studyng as deep as I could Logic, but I never had the need of having a midi file out of it so, you know, one forgets. And than I’ve recently started with Max so all my concentration is now there. But, yes, my aim is to go back to study environments wich at the time I didn’t need.
Thanks for your time and all the best to you
Roberto

Apr 14, 2009 at 1:28pm

Roberto,
I have a few tutorials on my site showing how you can route MIDI from Max into Logic. They might be helpful to you.

They were done in Logic 7 and Max 4.x but they should still work in the new versions of Logic and Max.

http://home.lagrange.edu/mturner/MitchWebSite/logic_help_files.html

Hope it helps,
Mitch

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:38pm

Mitch, it’s fantastic! Exactly what I’m looking for. I don’t Know how to thank you. In theese two days I’ll be out so I won’t have the time to study your solutions but, for sure, I’ll come back to ask you more things. For the moment thank you for your generosity

Roberto

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:04pm

Roberto,
Feel free to write me directly, as well as writing here on the forum.
mmturner (a_t) mindspring (d_o_t) com

Mitch

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.