Forums > MaxMSP

MSP audio CLICKS again – on fast sequencing (not in loopmode)

January 24, 2012 | 1:42 am

Hi,

its an old issue and you find many postings, but none of the solutions works for my purpose. the grooveduck example is perfect for loops, but i do not get it working well with triggered playback. [trapezoid] is too slow i think, and line~ well, i just don´t get it done.

the problem is bass tones, especially fast kick drums. when the same sample buffer is triggered a second time, before the first hit playback has cometo en end, it clicks. i tried fading down to zero before triggering again, but it is not really solid.

please take some time to help (and please max5 patches only).

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

January 24, 2012 | 8:51 am

Take a gander over at this thread:

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=37658

(there’s some max6 stuff in the hanning/hamming buffer filling but even without that it works well).

January 24, 2012 | 10:12 am

i´m sure this is a rich patch, but from my level of knowledge it seems hard to isolate the parts contributing to the click-issue.

January 24, 2012 | 10:30 am

If you look at a couple of the patches along the way it will be easier to understand. Theres even a good version using trapezoid in there. The problem with trapezoid is that it’s relative to sample size, so on long files its a fade rather than a declick.

The last few versions that Peter posted you can see some math used to figure out an absolute trapezoid fade which sounds great. If you just remove wave~ it ill work in max5.

January 24, 2012 | 10:33 am

You can also wrap it in a poly so rather than retriggering the same sound (which will be a problem for longer sounds anyways, like cymbals or 808 kicks etc…) you are triggering a second sound. Basically making it polyphonic.

The tutorial (in the help) on poly is pretty easy to get your head around and would do just that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)