msp-random clicks

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:18pm

msp-random clicks

can someone be so kind and show me a way to get accurate random clicks? if its possible with a kind of amount.

every help will be much aprecciated!

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:45pm

what do you mean by “accurate” random clicks??? does the below do what you are looking for?

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Jul 21, 2009 at 6:57pm

thanks for the example, but im looking for sample accurate clicks.

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:00pm

Some sort of [rand~] and [trunc~] combination, perhaps.

lh

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Jul 24, 2009 at 4:39pm

thanks a lot for the example!

greetings

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:34pm

Hi, i was just looking for this also…

This example from MIB is a funny way to do, but it doesn’t make only clicks, it make also some “pulses”.

I found – for my personal application – a different way :

- put the click in a buffer~, but with a silence before : a silence of the same size of your signal vector size (in dsp status)

- then : random -> delay -> bang -> using groove~, play the buffer from a random point between 0. and “your vector-size in ms”. -> repeat..

But true, with this solution there will never be more than one click per signal vector.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:33pm

It’s not entirely clear exactly what you’re after. If you mean something like a Geiger counter or, what’s technically known as “dust noise” and more popularly as “popcorn noise”… there is, of course, a Litter Power object that does that efficiently: lp.ppp~.

It has no limitations due to signal vector size or the like.

More information at the URI below.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:12pm

Hi Alexandre,
thats sounds interesting, but you are leaving the msp world with random -> delay -> bang -> ?

Hi Peter,

thanks for showing me lp.ppp~, it does what I want, but I need a phase to sync the rate of these clicks.

Greetings

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:08pm
extracted from what i.te wrote on Tue, 28 July 2009 20:12
lp.ppp~, it does what I want, but I need a phase to sync the rate of these clicks.

I was afraid someone would want signal inputs to lp.ppp~ some day. Back in early PPC days that would have chewed up a lot of CPU because of the way the object makes its calculations. It’s still expensive but probably doable.

I’ve moved it up the to-do list. Please contact me (perhaps off-list) if there are more specific things you need.

Best — Peter

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:13pm

> thats sounds interesting, but you are leaving the msp world with random -> delay -> bang -> ?

And why not?
bang -> start groove~ sample …will start the sample at the beginning of a vector, then if you let a little silence at the begining of your sample, shorter than the vector, inversely proportionnal from the start position in your sample that you decide randomly after each bang… you get it ?

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:07am
i.te wrote on Tue, 21 July 2009 20:57
thanks for the example, but im looking for sample accurate clicks.

I made a quazi~ abhaXion, which fills a buffer~ with clicks in a quasi gaussian distribution. If you set the depth to 1 (the depth is the number of dices so to speak), you get an equal distribution (not as good as Peters randoms, but its an abstraction and the plain random object could be replaced if you want it in a Peter approved quality…).
You might modify that idea to better suite your needs, for example
refill the buffer~ slowly while the phasor~ goes around…

My St.ools are at:
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/288305/St.ools%20for%205.zip
As usual never completed and if it doesn’t work let me know or fix it (and let me know)…

Stefan

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.