multi audio driver support in max ?

May 31, 2010 at 11:41am

multi audio driver support in max ?

Hi,
I would like to know if there is a way to have multiple audio drivers and/or interfaces when using Max. My point is, i would like to reroute at the same time :
- my internal output into max, which i can do using soundflower and setting soundflower as default output in audio config panel (mac osx) and setting soundflower as input device in maxMSP,
- my max output to an external device (motu828mkII) which i can do setting this one as max’s external output
- AND, an input microphone plugged in the motu, which i can’t do because the input is already used for soundlfower.

I can work it around using an external software (DigiPerf) in which you can select as much input and output audio device as you wish, and using both soundflower 2ch and 16ch, but that’s not a very good thing regarding cpu and there’s sound level perdition coming back and forth each things. And also i tried the ‘agreggate device’ in Audio and Midi preferences but that’s very, very buggy and when i succeeded in having some sound it was uggly with cracks and distortion and sound level deperdition. I tried Jack too, but somehow it didn’t do the trick. So, my point is, isn’t there something inside max to use several audio drivers for input and output ?

Jun 13, 2010 at 7:02pm

isn’t it a problem for anyone here ?

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:55am

I can’t really come up with a internal solution, but can’t you take the internal output from your computer send it out (spdif) on the motu take it in (spdif) on your computer and have your mic on another in? This would not cost you any CPU

Several audio drives I think is still a matter of an ‘agreggate device’

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:06pm

Thanks for your answer, i don’t have a sdif output from my computer cause it’s an old macbook. I guess there’s no way to make this internally in Max. I will retry the aggregated device !
cheers

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.