Forums > MaxMSP

multi touch screens for max

mcQ
March 3, 2011 | 4:31 am

k, this isnt technically the place to post this, but i only want a multi touch screen to use with max. so it kind of is…

anyway, i want to get a multi touch screen that can hook up to my laptop or computer or whatever, and have it so it can display the laptop screen on it. because i want to use some of my max patches live, like mixers, synths, drum machines, etc. and the lemur apparently i have to screw around and reconfigure crap when i just want to look at my patch and use it there.

March 3, 2011 | 8:22 pm

From your description it sounds like you’re not interested in touch-tracking through video; lots of DIY examples over the past few years. Therefore you’re looking at either capacitive or resistive overlay panels, the most common type of overlay panel: the former may be restricted in size, limited to finger touch only and more difficult to hack; and the latter, a little ‘flakier’, respond to any material and easier to hack. Off-the-shelf solutions, especially multitouch, might prove prohibitively expensive though. There are many examples of multi-touch panels being used with DAWs, as any search through youtube or vimeo will show; but these are mainly DIY projects…….

here’s an example of ‘single touch’ semi-DIY interface and GUI

http://www.youtube.com/user/audiolemon#p/u/4/rzLMnKti0Mw

other suggestions will arrive,
Brendan

ps I’ll take every opportunity to big up this guy’s work in the multitouch DMI domain

http://vimeo.com/2433260

March 4, 2011 | 9:42 am

I made a single touch with an overlay and it is a little annoying. You have to do things with your nail and they are a bit unresponsive. I really want multi-touch Max also. I think I am going to get an iPad 2 and then use a remote desktop app. You can use the iPad to show a screen from your PC. So you’d still need another computer but you could use the iPad as a controller.

March 4, 2011 | 12:18 pm

Yes
resistive touch screens can be a pain to calibrate, they work better when used as originally intended (with a stylus or pen), but fingertip use can be very noisy. The solution I’m working on at the minute involves tying the analog read lines to ground via pulldown resistors (of varying values), 10-100nf caps on all four lines (testing a range of values), and using [zl stream 5] -> [zl median] from the [serial] object to override some of the jitter; but it’s still not perfect. May have to implement an averaging algorithm in Arduino too. But by then things could get very laggy, and it’ll end up in the bin.

A solution for the OP might be simply to use an out-of-the-box overlay panel, with no hacking at all and use cursor control of a Max patch; but, are there any commercially available multitouch overlay panels?? Hmmm.

Brendan

March 4, 2011 | 7:07 pm

> are there any commercially available multitouch overlay panels?? Hmmm.

Yes, there are :

http://peauproductions.com/store/

March 4, 2011 | 7:41 pm

Of course I neglected to include FTIR-type panels, but again, compared to the cost of a DIY solution, they are rather expensive

Brendan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)