Forums > MaxMSP

multi Xbee funnel network

May 26, 2011 | 3:33 pm

Hello,
does someone knows how to receive data from 2 differents funnel io(both using firmata) into max (maxuino or serial) using only one xbee usb explorer receiver?

thank you

May 27, 2011 | 9:37 pm

Please explain your setup more precisely.

May 28, 2011 | 12:26 pm

I have 2 funnel fio, both use a xbee module serie 1 and firmata as end devices.
then i got a xbee plugged into a usb xbee explorer as a coordinator/receiver.

end of the chain is max with maxuino.

for the xbee config
3 modules got the Pan ID 1234
funnel xbee 1 got ID 0001
funnel xbee 2 got ID 0002

May 29, 2011 | 7:09 am

Sounds good. So, lets work through slowly.You’ve probably tried all this already but…
What about the coordinator id?
Have you tried each funnel separately & verified it works.
What sensor/data are you transmitting?

I have had multiple xbees working for ages, but with a different microcontroller

May 29, 2011 | 5:10 pm

The coordinator Pan ID is 1234 there is no My ID for coordinator

and the funnel are 0 and 1 on pan ID 1234.

if i run the boards separately its working perfect.

when i got the both running, the first one connected is working with maxuino, the second one send me that message on the max windows

[arduino]_WARNING_INCOMPATIBLE_FIRMWARE_VERSION: 2
Arduino/Firmata_version: 2 2

for now i dont have special sensor, i am reading just the analog O input via body resistance sensing.
my problem is really about dealing with to board in same time..

May 30, 2011 | 7:29 am

Hmm, looks like the Funnel is ‘grabbing’ the port, which is strange.
You might like to try substituting one or more of these

http://www.makingthings.com/store/accessories/xbee-board.html

I see no reason why they wouldn’t work as its only powering the xbee & providing breakout of the pins. The issue I have yet to resolve with this piece is powering multiple sensors on each node, but that’s another story.

Have you tried contacting the maker of the Funnel?

-edit. Sparkfun have a similar product

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9132

May 30, 2011 | 2:10 pm

yes i got one of the xbee explorer from sparkfun.
i didn’t contact the funnel maker, as i didn’t found any contact on the funnel pages.

I did post something on the sparkfun forum tho…

arg……….h

May 30, 2011 | 9:03 pm

Ok, I have to ask – why do you need to use the Funnel?
Apart from the fact you have them.
Maybe you could use some of the Tweet-a Watt stuff. She has multiple xbees & Arduino running, so there might be code & circuits that would be of use in your project

http://www.ladyada.net/make/tweetawatt/

oh & the Funnel surely is badly documented & what there is seems to suggest only receiver/transmitter pair.

May 30, 2011 | 9:47 pm

hum, we shouldn’t talk about funne’s documentation… :)

i actually need the funnel as input and output:
- one will be use more as a controller with accelerometer and different sensors
- the other one is used to control servos and lights

the body resistance sensing was just to check if everything is working.
I will probably end up by using this:
http://sensestage.hexagram.ca/about/hardware/minibee
i got 2 and it seems promising, but for now i would really love to deal it with the funnel.
I seen that there is a file called "multipoint" in the xbee section of the fio’s examples, so maybe…

June 3, 2011 | 1:06 pm

I think the main point here is that you are using the XBEE’s as a serial line replacement. In this setup I believe they will pair in a point to point network. As a (wired) serial line cannot have multiple clients, I don’t think you will be able to get this working in this manner.

Is there a specific reason why you are using the funnel boards instead of the analog inputs on the XBEE itself?

June 4, 2011 | 8:14 am

i have encountered the same problem.

basically once you manage to set up the receiver as controller and both senders as routers tied to the senders PAN ID, they will send to the receiver independently. since you are not synchronizing them, the packets will collide.

this means both senders will send at the same time (chances are the sending will overlap) and the receiver will not be able to process both packets simultaneously and probably drop both. the only solution to this is to send a sync pulse from the receiver with an index for example, forcing the two senders to wait for a free time slot. this will slow you down, especially if you have large data packets or fast sending rates.

and if you add more senders the time-slots will get more and more sparse and the transmission rate slower.

have a look at this paper: Eirik Renton, Collecting Sensor Data for Active Music
Masters Thesis in Microelectronic Systems, UNIVERSITY OF OSLO Department of Informatics, June 2009

hth

/*j

June 4, 2011 | 8:17 am

and: make sure to have the correct xbee modules for your multi-sender topology i.e. meshed network. series 1 are configured for point to point, series 2/2.5 can be configured to do meshed or p2p.

you might have to learn the xctu-configuration tool by digi and read the spec-sheets for your modules.

hth

/*j

June 4, 2011 | 4:00 pm

Hmm that’s interesting jasch.
I have had multiple Mk1 Xbees running with a MakeController for a couple of years now, never noticed any problem with dropped packets. But their use is not heavily time critical either.

June 4, 2011 | 7:11 pm

well my xbee are serie 1, so no luck?

but its actually weird, on the side i am using a board called minibee and its working ok for meshed network, but actually work only with xbee serie 1… so i dont get it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)