multichannel sound enhancements: compression, limiter

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:19pm

multichannel sound enhancements: compression, limiter

Hello list,

Currently I am working with multichannel live input. Is there a semi-simple
method/patch/object/vst that does compression, limiting, expansion or other
similar processing for multichannel input?

to my knowledge and experience most compressors and limiters do not take
more than two inputs at the same time. This is because all the channels have
to be considered and modified simultaneously so that the overall
image/balance of the input doesn’t change.

Any help/advice wold be appreciated.

-Navid

#41925
Jan 25, 2009 at 12:21am

for more clarity. here’s a hardware equivalent of what I am looking for to
use within max patches:

http://www.kellyindustries.com/signalprocessors/presonus_acp88.html

“It’s also capable of linking any number of channels via the power summing
bus. Power Summing Buss Linking is great for dynamically processing stereo
and other multi-channel sources where each channel processes using the same
settings. It’s enabled by pressing the LINK button which will link together
this channel to one on its immediate left. “

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Navid Navab

wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Currently I am working with multichannel live input. Is there a semi-simple
> method/patch/object/vst that does compression, limiting, expansion or other
> similar processing for multichannel input?
>
> to my knowledge and experience most compressors and limiters do not take
> more than two inputs at the same time. This is because all the channels have
> to be considered and modified simultaneously so that the overall
> image/balance of the input doesn’t change.
>
> Any help/advice wold be appreciated.
>
> -Navid
>

#149709
Jan 26, 2009 at 7:55pm

Look at komp-multichannel.maxpat in the examples folder. This shows an easy way to sum multiple signal inputs and route them to multiple compressors which all share the same settings. The komp abstraction could be replaced by your favorite vst. You might also try different flavors of averaging the input signals rather than summing them.

#149710
Jan 26, 2009 at 10:38pm

thanks for the pointer,
komp-multichannel patch didn’t exist under max 4.6 examples.

I also found an object called “tt.limiter~” that takes an argument for
the number of channels to process.

-Navid

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Holland Hopson wrote:
>
> Look at komp-multichannel.maxpat in the examples folder. This shows an easy way to sum multiple signal inputs and route them to multiple compressors which all share the same settings. The komp abstraction could be replaced by your favorite vst. You might also try different flavors of averaging the input signals rather than summing them.
> –
> http://www.hollandhopson.com
> http://www.grabrarearts.com
>

#149711
Jan 27, 2009 at 8:56am

I would recommend checking out Tap.tools 3:

http://shop.electrotap.com/collections/tap-tools

The tt externals used in Jamoma is just a small subset of Tap.tools.

Best,
Trond

> I also found an object called “tt.limiter~” that takes an argument for
> the number of channels to process.

#149712
Jan 27, 2009 at 10:35am

I have it

tt.limiter~ = tap.limi~

best,
-Nav

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:56 AM, Trond Lossius

wrote:

> I would recommend checking out Tap.tools 3:
>
> http://shop.electrotap.com/collections/tap-tools
>
> The tt externals used in Jamoma is just a small subset of Tap.tools.
>
> Best,
> Trond
>
>
> I also found an object called “tt.limiter~” that takes an argument for
>> the number of channels to process.
>>
>
>

#149713

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.