Forums > MaxMSP

multichannel soundfile splitter

July 9, 2006 | 7:17 pm

hi all,

I find myself needing to split some 6 channel files recorded with
sfrecord~ into separate mono files. There used to be something called
sf-splitter (or something) but I think that that is OS9 only. (A
search of the Forum turned up only 3 references to splitting
multichannel soundfiles! Maybe it’s my spelling).
Couldn’t find anything on max-objects either, except an out-of-date
link to sPlitter, which looks like it should do what i want, but it’s
no longer there (the link is dead).

Does anyone know of a patch to do this, or know where sPlitter has
gone to? (I’m using the demo of Sample Manager at the moment, but a
max solution would be nicer.)

thanks

David


July 9, 2006 | 7:29 pm

Maybe you could use None real-time mode.
Play back 6 channel file via sfplay~ while recording into 6 mono sfrecord~
objects or record~ objects.

Or maybe use an audio rendering program like Csound (or the max version
csound~) there must be an orchestra file out there for this sorta thing

On 7/9/06 3:17 PM, "David Stevens" wrote:
> I find myself needing to split some 6 channel files recorded with
> sfrecord~ into separate mono files.


July 9, 2006 | 8:51 pm

On 9 Jul 2006, at 20:29, Langdon Crawford wrote:

> Maybe you could use None real-time mode.
> Play back 6 channel file via sfplay~ while recording into 6 mono
> sfrecord~
> objects or record~ objects.
>

Yeah, I thought about doing that. Are there any issues about all of
the mono sfrecords "starting" at the same time, or isn’t that an
issue in non-real time?

David


July 9, 2006 | 9:35 pm

Synchronized record start time shouldn’t be a problem in non-realtime mode.

Also you can also set the scheduler to run at audio interrupt when doing
this in real-time. It should guarantee that the multiple record objects
start on the same sample.

You could always test this running the same signal into multiple record
objects then inspect compare the sample values.

On 7/9/06 4:51 PM, "David Stevens" wrote:

>
> On 9 Jul 2006, at 20:29, Langdon Crawford wrote:
>
>> Maybe you could use None real-time mode.
>> Play back 6 channel file via sfplay~ while recording into 6 mono
>> sfrecord~
>> objects or record~ objects.
>>
>
> Yeah, I thought about doing that. Are there any issues about all of
> the mono sfrecords "starting" at the same time, or isn’t that an
> issue in non-real time?
>
> David


July 10, 2006 | 4:29 pm

Hi,
You can get sfSplitter and sfsplit here:

http://www.ear.ie/fergaldowling/software.htm

sfSplitter is a script-based MaxMSP patch which can split multi-channel
soundfiles into their component channels. These are output as mono .aif
files; the patch operates in real-time only.

sfsplit is a shell script which uses cSound to split multi-channel
soundfiles into their component channels. These are output as mono .aif
files (but of course, you can adjust the script accordingly). cSound
must be defined in your environmental variables. The soundfile to be
split should be in the same directory as the script.

There is some more info in the patch and the script files themselves.
Hope this does the job. (The broken link from max-objects database
should have been deleted long ago, (and wasn’t put there by me) I’ll
try to amend that.)

Cheers,
Fergal Dowling

web: http://www.ear.ie
email: fergaldowling@ear.ie

On 9 Jul 2006, at 20:17, David Stevens wrote:

> hi all,
>
> I find myself needing to split some 6 channel files recorded with
> sfrecord~ into separate mono files. There used to be something called
> sf-splitter (or something) but I think that that is OS9 only. (A
> search of the Forum turned up only 3 references to splitting
> multichannel soundfiles! Maybe it’s my spelling).
> Couldn’t find anything on max-objects either, except an out-of-date
> link to sPlitter, which looks like it should do what i want, but it’s
> no longer there (the link is dead).
>
> Does anyone know of a patch to do this, or know where sPlitter has
> gone to? (I’m using the demo of Sample Manager at the moment, but a
> max solution would be nicer.)
>
> thanks
>
> David
>
>


July 10, 2006 | 5:15 pm

Cool – thanks Fergal.

David

On 10 Jul 2006, at 17:29, Fergal Dowling wrote:

> Hi,
> You can get sfSplitter and sfsplit here:
> http://www.ear.ie/fergaldowling/software.htm
>


July 10, 2006 | 7:14 pm

Hi Fergal,
Thanks for the sfsplitter info. Do you or anyone know of a patch that
will do the reverse: take multichannel mono files and merge them into
a single MAX multichannel file? The old OS 9 program called sf
splitter+merger 1.8p seems to convert 24 bit files to 16 bit. I need
to keep them as 24 bit.
John Oliver

On Jul 10, 2006, at 9:29 AM, Fergal Dowling wrote:

> You can get sfSplitter and sfsplit here:
> http://www.ear.ie/fergaldowling/software.htm



July 10, 2006 | 8:25 pm

From max-objects …

SoundFilesMerger

http://www.e–j.com/tools/

David

On 10 Jul 2006, at 20:14, spamisevil wrote:

> Hi Fergal,
> Thanks for the sfsplitter info. Do you or anyone know of a patch
> that will do the reverse: take multichannel mono files and merge
> them into a single MAX multichannel file? The old OS 9 program
> called sf splitter+merger 1.8p seems to convert 24 bit files to 16
> bit. I need to keep them as 24 bit.
> John Oliver
>
> On Jul 10, 2006, at 9:29 AM, Fergal Dowling wrote:
>
>> You can get sfSplitter and sfsplit here:
>> http://www.ear.ie/fergaldowling/software.htm
>


July 10, 2006 | 10:58 pm

Hi David,
Thank you for the link to this great utility. It almost does what I
need. Unfortunately, it converts the 24 bit mono sound files to 16
bit and there doesn’t appear to be a way to keep the 24 bit file. Is
there a technical limitation that makes merging of 24 bit files
impossible? I find it hard to go back to 16 bits these days…
John

On Jul 10, 2006, at 1:25 PM, David Stevens wrote:

> From max-objects …
>
> SoundFilesMerger
>
> http://www.e–j.com/tools/
>
> David
>
>
>
> On 10 Jul 2006, at 20:14, spamisevil wrote:
>
>> Hi Fergal,
>> Thanks for the sfsplitter info. Do you or anyone know of a patch
>> that will do the reverse: take multichannel mono files and merge
>> them into a single MAX multichannel file? The old OS 9 program
>> called sf splitter+merger 1.8p seems to convert 24 bit files to 16
>> bit. I need to keep them as 24 bit.
>> John Oliver
>>
>> On Jul 10, 2006, at 9:29 AM, Fergal Dowling wrote:
>>
>>> You can get sfSplitter and sfsplit here:
>>> http://www.ear.ie/fergaldowling/software.htm
>>
>


July 11, 2006 | 12:01 am

On 11 juil. 06, at 00:58, spamisevil wrote:

> Hi David,
> Thank you for the link to this great utility. It almost does what I
> need. Unfortunately, it converts the 24 bit mono sound files to 16
> bit and there doesn’t appear to be a way to keep the 24 bit file.
> Is there a technical limitation that makes merging of 24 bit files
> impossible? I find it hard to go back to 16 bits these days…

Hi,

Sorry about that… I never use 24 bits, so… I’ll make an update
when I come back from vacation.

But, it’s important to notice that this is not more than sfplay~ and
sfrecord~. That means there’s a conversion from the input resolution
(for example 16 bits integer) to 32 floating bits (MSP resolution)
and then from 32 bits to the output resolution (actually 16 bis
integers).

Best,
ej


September 13, 2006 | 2:46 pm

Hi,

A new version is now online. It’s now Universal Binary (compiled with
4.6) and allows you to select the output resolution (16, 24 bits).
Note that it’s as slow as before because it’s still working in
realtime. I’m looking for another strategy, but in the meantime it’s
here:

http://www.e–j.com

Best,
ej


September 15, 2006 | 6:31 pm


Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)