Multiple 3 or more USB Logitech Webcams, how it works?

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:12am

Multiple 3 or more USB Logitech Webcams, how it works?

Hello,

I need for a tracking task 6 Webcams, i have now tried 3 Logitech Webcams on a Windows 7 PC, but only two works at the same time.

Have someone experience, how i can use 6 Logitech Webcams at the same time?

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:14pm

last spring i’ve been doing a project for a local opera house which involves 8 webcams. I used firewire cams (unibrain fire-i)instead of usb i had to make long distances and wanted to daisychain them . One problem i’ve encounterd was the amount of data which goes through one bus. i was using a macpro with 2 fire wire busses which are 4 firewire connectors . on each bus i could use 2 fire wire cams. there are examples on the net where people use 6 firewire cams on one bus . But in my case it didn’t worked . I had to add a pci firewire card to the macpro to get two additional busses.

maybe for usb it works the same way .

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:20am

It’s tricky to have more USB webcams streaming at the same time on a Windows machine.

The Firewire standard has a better support of multiple streams of data flowing through a cable (the standard supports daisy chaining up to 63 devices). What is also important it’s part of the standard that it lets you control the bandwidth of each camera as well as framerate and resolution.

The USB standard works in a different way, since all USB devices work in one of four sub-protocols: bulk, control, interrupt and isochronous, while a part of the bandwidth is always reserved to the USB protocol itself. Webcams operate in the isochronous protocol. Read more about this on: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-technology,677.html

IMO, if you can’t switch to Firewire for your project, be sure to get real ‘USB 2.0 webcams’ and hope that your camera’s driver support multiple streams. This can only be tested through practice. People have good results with the Logitech Quickcam pro for Mac (3 cams at the same time) but i’m not sure whether it will work on Windows.
Secondly, if you have the possibility, I would surely try to install separate PCI-USB-cards to add busses to your system. For 6 cameras, I see this as the only possible option.

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:08pm

MULTICAM IS POSSIBLE :D

FIRST Thank to everyone, who post here.

I have now on my windows7 Notebock 5 Logitech B500 Webcams parrallel in Max/MSP + 1 integred Notebook Cam.

If someone have question about this, contact me everytime musik@pisound.de

How i make this possible?

Important to know: 2 USB Ports, that are near to each other, they are the same as one USB Port.

so i do following:
my Notebook habe 3 USB Ports
2 right and 1 left.
1) i put 2 Webcams in the 2 USB ports right
2) I put the USB HUB in the one USB Port left, this USB HUB can read @ the same time 3 webcams.

So 2 Webcams from the right two ports and 3 Webcams from the USB HUB in the one left USB Port.

Now i stream parallel at the same time 5 Logitech B500 USB Webcams price 20€ and 1 Integred Notebock Webcam

I think that it es possible to have at the same time, 6 Webcams
It should go, if i use 2 USB HUB’s one left and one right, so each of them should read 3 Webcams. i try it out, as i buy one USB HUB more

Aug 25, 2012 at 8:59am

good to know…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.