multiple bpatchers making videomixer unstable?

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:11pm

multiple bpatchers making videomixer unstable?

Hello,

I’m trying to make a modular video-mixing interface, and want to use bpatchers to keep things tidy, but it seems like the bpatchers are causing problems: bangs, the video signal and messages aren’t getting through.

Though i’ve gotten this rig to work intermittently, but as soon as I change “embed in parent patch” preference of the bpatcher the Inspector, I lose the video patch-cord and/or the whole subpatch.

If I re-connect the subpatch, close, then re-open the patch, it often starts working again, but then if I really start messing with the interface (changing looppoints on the rslider, turning interpolation on and off) the video image will freeze, and the whole thing needs to get restarted again.

Am I missing something?

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

BTW, I am using this patch to play back video with sizes between 8 – 200 MB, some with alpha channel (animation codec), 512 x 288.

#64936
Oct 26, 2012 at 12:36am

I didn’t seem to have any probs with this patch.
Using standard h.264 quicktime movie approx 100MB in size.
(If you change ‘embed in parent patch’ to OFF, then if your source files for the bpatcher are in a place where Max’s search path can’t find em, then obviously, you’ll lose the patch… but i’m not sure what you meant by your change to “embed in parent patch”… did you mean you turn it off or on?)

Sounds like your problem isn’t actually anything to do with bpatchers… maybe animation codec? something else?
(also your rsliders don’t seem to be set according to video length… they have a constant duration… so my video was significantly shorter and therefore if i slid outside the range the video went black, but i could easily get back again… not sure if that has anything to do with what you’re seeing, though… but eventually, you should work with the messages available from jit.qt…. to resize the slider appropriately within the range of whatever video you load… let me know if this is confusing, i can post an example…. but without your bpatcher source files i can’t tell what you actually did)

#234164
Oct 26, 2012 at 8:16pm

Hi Karaokaze,

Thanks for pointing out my rslider typo! I’ve connected the rsliders as I should’ve, their min/max now adapts to the size of whichever quicktime is loaded.

Still isn’t working! Well, it sorta is: I hear the audio, of the videos, am able to use rslider to change the sample size, but no image!

As to the h.264 recommendation, I am using it for some of my videos, but for the ones that have alpha channels, I must use animation (or ProRes4444 or TIFF sequence). h.264 doesn’t carry alpha. I’ve downsized the animation codec videos so much (512×288, 12fps) that most of them fall between 8-200MB.

I’m on an iMac 10.6 with 4G of RAM, and without the bpatchers, mixing + messing around with these videos plays back fine. hmm..

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
#234165
Nov 2, 2012 at 6:24pm

Ah-ha! I figured out it was the pak scale object! It wasn’t receiving the loadbang 1. in it’s X and Y inlets!

(-_-#)

#234166

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.