Forums > Jitter

multiple cameras via 2 LFG4 PCIe frame grabbers

April 5, 2007 | 3:26 pm

February 15, 2008 | 10:38 am

Hi Ryan

I’m interested in doing something similar, but probably only needing to use 4 video inputs (hence maybe only one card). I’d be very interested in any of your experiences with this setup – did yo u have any success getting the multiple video inputs working at low latency?

Thanks

Tom

February 15, 2008 | 12:22 pm

February 15, 2008 | 2:24 pm

Thanks, that’s very useful. Have you had any problem with inputs freezing on the LFG card? I’ve been looking at the Catalyst users’ forums, and a few people seem to have had some problems with reliability. I’m not sure if it’s a Catalyst thing, a driver thing, or a hardware thing, so I’m interested to know how reliable this card has been with Max/Jitter…

Thanks again

Tom

February 15, 2008 | 2:39 pm

Freezes seemed to happen on multiple cards. I traced this to the apple’s PCI bus, and engineers with apple confirmed this. LFG’s driver at the time was beta, and i think it still is. I was beta testing, thinking that it was the driver causing random freezes, but i am most certain it lies in the split architecture of the pci bus. LFG is a good product with great support*

gr
ryan

February 15, 2008 | 2:45 pm

Thanks, that’s very helpful. Just to clarify, you were only having freezes when using more than one card at the same time – is that correct? So with a single card installed, you didn’t experience any freezing?

It’s also good to hear that they offer good support – that makes all the difference when trying a new product…

Thanks

Tom

February 15, 2008 | 2:50 pm

Cant say for sure…dont think i tried just one card.

gr
ryan

February 26, 2009 | 5:09 pm

ryan / tom

did you find the one card config to be reliable?
do the drivers from active silicon support other qt based software ok? like vdmx or final cut?
since you couldn’t utilize two cards, maybe you want to sell the other??

February 27, 2009 | 9:39 am

In the end, I went for a Blackmagic Intensity Pro, as I only needed the one input, and may want to use it for HD capture in the future. If you’re only looking for one input, I’d highly recommend the Intensity: I’ve had absolutely no issues with it so far, and have been using it in an installation for 6 hours a day for the last week. Latency is down to about 60-70ms too, which is excellent.

Cheers

Tom

February 27, 2009 | 1:01 pm

well, from the look of it, the intencity pro seems like both a more versatile and up to date product.
couple of questions:
is latency that low both if using hdmi AND analog inputs?
how about interlacing / deinterlacing?

i would have to look for a solution for getting the hdmi signal about 30 meters.
cables / repeaters or balun / cat5. both would be quite expensive.
has anyone here looked at affordable solutions?
thank you!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)