multiple live video (Ustream) inputs

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:47am

multiple live video (Ustream) inputs

Hi all,

I am aiming to build a patch that takes multiple live video inputs over wifi from various distant locations into max. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into how I might import separate videos as separate channels into max. I am aware that I will probably have to use soundflower to route the audio as separate channels. I am working with max and the various inputs can be laptops (in various locations) and or ipads etc. Is http livestream possible – maybe iChat?

Many Thanks

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:17am

Hey everyone, I have managed to use camtwist to get a live web video (from ustream) into max using jit.qt.grab but of course I can only get one video in and I need 5. I have looked into syphon – would this be possible? I can’t seem to get anywhere getting video in through [syphonclient]. Any help would be much appreciated.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:45pm

why you only can get one video in ? did you tried multiple jit.qt.grabs ?

right now om working on a patch with 8 video inputs .(with firewire not wifi)

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:14pm

Hey, well I want multiple sources (so five different live videos) and CamTwist can only get one source at a time – if i select the input from another jit.qt.grab it would just give me CamTwist again (taking the same video)…
Are you using 6 different devices with firewire? My patch is below (pretty much the jit.qt.grab helpfile).. if there is a way around this it would be amazing but I can’t figure it out…
Many Thanks

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:16pm
– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Apr 25, 2012 at 8:54pm

i use 8 cams . it are unibrain fire-i cams
when i choose the device “IIDC firewire video”
and after that generates the inputlist
i get 8 cams in the ubumenu

i had the problem that i only could use two cams on one firewire bus
the mac pro has two busses (two connector per bus) so i had to add two more with a pci card .

dont know anything about camtwist or ip cams (yet)
what does camtwist do exactly ?

can’t you just get the images in a browser and then grab them with jit.desktop if syphon is not working

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:01pm

i’ve not looked into syphon too far. I just can’t get any sense out of it. My only problem with jit.desktop is that I can’t crop the video to windows or the screens of the streaming video (e.g. on youtube to cut out the playbar and adds). Also I’m not sure I could fit 4-5 videos on a single screen – jit.desktop wont let me put windows over the top of the one I want will it? I had a poke around and these were the problems I found… solutions may well have been overlooked though.
Thanks for your reply, your project sounds interesting.
J

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.