Forums > MaxMSP

multiple midi instruments?

November 7, 2007 | 8:23 pm

I’m working on an installation and patch, and I’ve hit a brick wall.

Is it possible to use multiple midi instruments simultaneously within Max/Msp? Ultimately, my patch has to individually control the velocity of several midi instruments playing parts of one composition, while maintaining the ability to dynamically alter the playback speed of the master track.

Any suggestions for objects to look into, external programs, plugins, existing patches, or strategies that will help would be much appreciated.

November 7, 2007 | 8:52 pm

Quote: patrhys wrote on Wed, 07 November 2007 12:23
—————————————————-
> I’m working on an installation and patch, and I’ve hit a brick wall.
>
> Is it possible to use multiple midi instruments simultaneously within Max/Msp? Ultimately, my patch has to individually control the velocity of several midi instruments playing parts of one composition, while maintaining the ability to dynamically alter the playback speed of the master track.
>
>
> Any suggestions for objects to look into, external programs, plugins, existing patches, or strategies that will help would be much appreciated.
>
>
—————————————————-

There’s a patch called "Internal_Synth.mxb" in the CNMAT Max/MSP/Jitter Depot, which is downloadable here:

http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/MAX/downloads/

Your request is a little vague, though. What do you mean by MIDI instrument? You could have VSTi plugins as "instruments", you could load soundfonts into the built-in synthesizer, you could send real MIDI to real outboard gear.

Honestly, straight playback of MIDI files is not really Max’s strong suit. Look at the seq and detonate objects, and midifile (which is also a CNMAT downloads page). Look at the Max tutorials: #36, #44, among others. Stay away from Timeline. And, ask yourself if you wouldn’t be happier with a regular sequencer.

mz

November 7, 2007 | 9:42 pm

Quote: patrhys wrote on Wed, 07 November 2007 12:23
—————————————————-
> Is it possible to use multiple midi instruments simultaneously within Max/Msp?

I’m not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but I control multiple instruments with Max all the time. How to do it depends on what you consider an "instrument".

I normally use Max to control external instruments: hardware instruments and/or plug-ins hosted in a DAW (like Logic). In this case I use a separate noteout for every instrument. For different pieces of hardware I just set the noteout to the correct port. If I’m sending the MIDI over to a DAW that is hosting multiple plug-in instruments, then I use a separate channel for each instrument and use the "From Max/MSP 1" port. "From Max/MSP" works fine unless you are trying to rewire audio signals back into Max then you will have timing issues (at least with Logic).

If this is the kind of thing you are trying to do, then make sure you are familiar with the concept of ports and channels and how that works with the noteout/midiout/ctlout objects.

When I am completely inside Max controlling MSP synthesizer patches with MIDI, then it’s just a matter of using multiple copies of the synthesizer patch and routing the MIDI appropriately in the patch.

-Adam

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)