Multiple samples and poly and buffer – confusion

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:44pm

Multiple samples and poly and buffer – confusion

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:49pm

why are you changing the buffer~ name? each poly instance should have a unique buffer~/groove~ combo with a unique name, and there should be no need to change that.

i would use thispoly~ or #0 to construct a name in each instance.
make sure you set the buffer~ name BEFORE you set the groove~ name, so you don’t get that error.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:15pm

Quote: robtherich wrote on Sat, 25 October 2008 09:49
—————————————————-
> why are you changing the buffer~ name? each poly instance should have a unique buffer~/groove~ combo with a unique name, and there should be no need to change that.

This is sort of what I am doing – because each poly instance receives the name change, and the name change is identical for both buffer~ and groove~.

If I just call the buffer and groove of the subbpatch “sample” the buffer will be overwritten each time the poly instance.

But … I think I am misunderstanding something.

> i would use thispoly~ or #0 to construct a name in each instance.

How can I use thispoly~ for this? Isn’t that just for muting/unmuting?

Not sure what “#0″ means?

(bear with me, I’m a poly novice ;)

Thanks.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:01pm

ok, in your patch looks like you need to make use of trigger to make sure you send target $1 in before you set bufname.
also you need to set the buffer~ before the groove~ as i mentioned.
also, you don’t send a target message when you replace the sample, but maybe i’m missing something in your patch.

i’m saying, there’s no need to set the buffer name, just do it once at initialization:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Oct 25, 2008 at 6:35pm

Here’s an idea with sfplay,- this example should be very easy to poly ;)

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Oct 25, 2008 at 6:52pm

Thanks so much, folks – I’ve got a lot to learn, but this should(!?) be enough to get me started.

Great forum, this.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.