Forums > MaxMSP

multislider point scroll data fetching

August 30, 2008 | 5:09 pm

Hi all

I was wondering if there is a way to fetch slider values when [multislider] is in point scroll mode.

The goal is to have incoming values sent to [multislider] creating a table or (step sequencer). Then when I like what I see, I fetch the slider values. Using the [multislider] as a (say 256 step)sequencer.

I know one of the problem is, when in [point scroll mode], there are no sliders. Just the visual impression that there are many.

What I’ve done is take [zl group 256]. < then when full, the list values are sent back to the [multislider] changing the mode to [thin line] at the same time. This works fine.

The problem is that I necessarily want to use the particular sequence that comes up after every 256 values added.

What I want something like What [bucket] does. But for 256 values.

Basically, something that registers my values, scroll or displays them in the [multislider] which I can fetch at any point.

Turning my display into a 256 step sequencer.

Hope this is clear.

Thanks in advance

phil

August 30, 2008 | 6:05 pm

not sure how you’re scrolling values into multislider so this might not be exactly what you want but you can modify it. I’m using two objects: an itable to scroll the values and then a multislider to record them into for a step-sequence.

Be sure to lock the patcher to also see how you can hide/show one at a time so you can basically fake a single object usage.

also, i’m using itable(itable has the drawback that it can only display values as fast as every 500ms) but you can switch it out with a multislider(using different messaging), i just find it easier to demonstrate the idea.

hope it helps:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

August 30, 2008 | 6:08 pm

oh, and when multislider is in point-scroll mode, it is using only one slider to show the many values, and so i think itable would be easier to get all the scrolling values out of and transfer them to 256 sliders within multislider. Otherwise, you need to record periodically the single slider of multislider in point scroll mode as you were doing with zl and then switch multislider to display 256 sliders, etc. So i just found itable easier for this sort of thing.

August 30, 2008 | 6:10 pm

On Aug 30, 2008, at 10:09 AM, phil wrote:

> I was wondering if there is a way to fetch slider values when
> [multislider] is in point scroll mode.

In the scroll modes, multislider doesn’t really have sliders anymore.

You might look into zl stream, which will output the last n values it
receives.

-C

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com

August 30, 2008 | 6:43 pm

On Aug 30, 2008, at 11:10 AM, Chris Muir wrote:

> You might look into zl stream, which will output the last n values
> it receives.

For example:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com

August 30, 2008 | 8:13 pm

August 30, 2008 | 8:50 pm

> On the other hand, I WORK w. MAX 4.6. SO… no [zl stream] aargg.

I’ve always done something like this (below). It does the same thing as zl stream, except it starts outputting as soon as it starts receiving values. (Man, Max 4 looks blocky…)

#P window setfont "Sans Serif" 9.;
#P message 119 169 102 196617;
#P window linecount 1;
#P newex 119 143 62 196617 prepend set;
#P newex 119 109 57 196617 zl slice 10;
#P newex 119 88 38 196617 zl join;
#P number 119 58 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P connect 2 0 3 0;
#P fasten 2 0 1 1 124 132 183 132 183 81 152 81;
#P connect 3 0 4 0;
#P connect 1 0 2 0;
#P connect 0 0 1 0;
#P window clipboard copycount 5;

August 30, 2008 | 9:49 pm

Thanks a lot Stephen

Damn, I could of thought of that. :-) Maybe next time.

>(Man, Max 4 looks blocky…)

It may look blocky, but hey at least its stable/ more cpu friendly/thus timing more accurate/ (AND THE BIG ONE…..) It doesn’t crash every other time I open it like Max 5. < - Even to go to edit mode, I sometime get the rainbow colored spinning circle.

Maybe, all this because i’m still on PPC os x tiger ?? But hey, Max was sound great w. the machine we had in 2000.

So, Max 4.6 with the machine I have, will be my guy for now.

Thanks again for your patch

phil

August 31, 2008 | 8:35 am

> It may look blocky, but hey at least its stable/ more cpu friendly/thus timing more accurate/ (AND THE BIG ONE…..) It doesn’t crash every other time I open it like Max 5. < - Even to go to edit mode, I sometime get the rainbow colored spinning circle.

> Maybe, all this because i’m still on PPC os x tiger ?? But hey, Max was sound great w. the machine we had in 2000.

Hey, there’s nothing wrong with blocky. I’m still a tiny bit nostalgic for Windows 3.1. :) But it’s amazing how little time it takes using Max 5 before Max 4 starts looking really weird.

So far I’ve found Max 5 to be more stable (don’t think it’s crashed yet), and I’m also using Tiger. I think it also "feels" subtly different in that different things seem to slow it down, while other areas seem to be smoother than Max 4. It has sort of a different personality, aside from the obvious makeover. But this could just be my imagination.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)