Multithreading with poly~

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:25pm

Multithreading with poly~

I've got a patch which doesn't have any polyphonic objects in, but I want to use poly to spread the load over all the cores of my processor. I've never quite understood how this works and have had a few failed attempts getting it right, so thought I'd ask for some help. I'd be grateful if you could check out the image included and see if I'm on the right track. This is part of the patch, and will need to be duplicated about 40 times (hence the need for multi-threading)

Many thanks,

Mark

ps. Happy to post the patch if that's better, but thought the picture was explanatory enough. Also happy to explain the patch if that's useful.

[attachment=175533,2845]

Attachments:
  1. polyeffort.jpg
Nov 7, 2011 at 10:40pm

Perhaps I’ve not been specific enough about this. I’ve tried to measure CPU usage myself, so I duplicated the patch around 40 times, with the Max DSP monitor I get 25 -30% Windows performance monitor says around 5 -8% so I presume I’m doing something wrong.

So,

Is this the correct way to be using poly~, or is Max not able to optimize this sort of patch?

Is the @parallel 1 message all that’s needed to turn on multi-threading?

I realise this topic has been covered before, but even after reading many other threads I feel there’s something I’m missing.

Please find the patches included in this Rar, the patch testpanner needs to go where Max can find it.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Attachments:
  1. polyexample.rar

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.