Multitouch Controllers: Jazzmutant's Lemur VS convertible tablets

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:13am

Multitouch Controllers: Jazzmutant's Lemur VS convertible tablets

#41701
Jan 15, 2009 at 11:11am

On 15 janv. 09, at 11:13, Gadi Sassoon wrote:

> I was thinking about getting a multitouch controller, was going to
> buy a Lemur – except the thing is over 2000 Euros and its hardware
> has not been updated for a while.

< ...>

> Anybody have experience of either or both, any ideas, info or
> suggestions on the topic?

A couple of iPod touch? There are some nice apps sending OSC code.
And as a famous maxer from this list told me yesterday evening, you
can even listen to music with them…

_____________________________
Patrick Delges

Centre de Recherches et de Formation Musicales de Wallonie asbl

http://www.crfmw.be/max

#148765
Jan 15, 2009 at 12:25pm

Those are alright but their programmability is limited, the screen area not really comparable to Lemur or tablets. And the Dell I mentioned I think is roughly the cost of 2 iPod touches… and it can run Max ;)

#148766
Jan 15, 2009 at 1:22pm

Quote: 9 wrote on Thu, 15 January 2009 05:25
—————————————————-
> Those are alright but their programmability is limited, the screen area not really comparable to Lemur or tablets. And the Dell I mentioned I think is roughly the cost of 2 iPod touches… and it can run Max ;)
—————————————————-

The price of two iPod Touches? Then you are getting an extremely good deal.

In Norway the price of the Latitude XT is about SEVEN times the price of the cheapest iPod Touch …

#148767
Jan 15, 2009 at 1:24pm

#148768
Jan 15, 2009 at 5:07pm

#148769
Jan 15, 2009 at 6:57pm

#148770
Jan 15, 2009 at 8:20pm

On 15-janv.-09, at 18:07, Kasper T Toeplitz wrote:

> __oh, by the way – yes, you can listen to music on ipods – you can
> even check your email, which you can not on the lemur !!!!

Hey Kasper, you didn’t tell me that ;-)

More seriously, I was quite disappointed with the Lemur for a couple of
reasons (programmability and usability) but v2 seems to correct some
issues. I found RAM quite short and stability wasn’t optimal…
But I saw guys on this listing performing very well with it, n’est-ce
pas Mathieu? So I think you should first test it a couple of days (and
even a couple of days may not be enough).

p

#148771
Jan 15, 2009 at 8:34pm

I’m lucky enough to have had a Lemur for over a year. I find it to be extremely easy to use, and that it integrates seamlessly with Max.

My complaints would be the limitations of its UI objects, particularly in comparison to the Max UI: i.e., you can’t build your own, or significantly edit theirs. However, version 2 does offer some improvements and new objects.

When I bought it, I figured something else would come out that was better, and a lot cheaper, within a few months. I was wrong (although many of the iPod OSC apps look very promising).

I’m glad I have one, and won’t use anything else. But it is very, very, expensive.

My two cents,

Arne

#148772
Jan 16, 2009 at 9:09am

> More seriously, I was quite disappointed with the Lemur for a couple
> of reasons (programmability and usability) but v2 seems to correct
> some issues. I found RAM quite short and stability wasn’t optimal…
> But I saw guys on this listing performing very well with it, n’est-
> ce pas Mathieu?
if you say so… :-)

personnally , I’m very happy with the Lemur. The new v2 firmware
brings a lot of improvements and make much more powerful.
You’re right, it’s expensive, but I really think it worth it, and for
the moment, there is nothing else on the market… (in this range of
price !)
I actually also use a Stantum SMK multitouch screen ; very, very
promising, .. but much more expensive !
(see this post : http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=rview&th=36434&rid=0
)

About Dell Latitude XT : I really doubt that this multitouch screen
may one day be used as a Lemur / SMK ; have you seen all the demo
video of it on youtube ? it seems to be VERY inacurate, and I’m not
sure that Dell will release the API to let you use it as you want in
max…

another multitouch solution :
Fo less than 2000$, you can build yourself a FTIR screen, or a
reactable… (but you probably won’t be able to carry it in your
laptop’s bag..)
some useful links :
http://mtg.upf.es/reactable/
http://nuigroup.com/touchlib/

http://nuigroup.com/

my (multi)two(ch) cents…

MathieU
________________
Mathieu Chamagne
http://mathieuchamagne.com

http://www.maxobjects.com

#148773
Jan 16, 2009 at 10:36am

#148774
Jan 16, 2009 at 1:08pm

it wont get cheaper until it is massed produced. or become an OEM package
for companies to use, like the dell previously mentioned. the rest will
become novelty or will be sucked into corporates, like fingerworks.
hp touchsmart demo – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scs7DZhQ72E

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Mathieu Chamagne <
mathieu.chamagne@gmail.com> wrote:

> More seriously, I was quite disappointed with the Lemur for a couple of
> reasons (programmability and usability) but v2 seems to correct some issues.
> I found RAM quite short and stability wasn’t optimal…
> But I saw guys on this listing performing very well with it, n’est-ce pas
> Mathieu?
>
> if you say so… :-)
>
> personnally , I’m very happy with the Lemur. The new v2 firmware brings a
> lot of improvements and make much more powerful.
> You’re right, it’s expensive, but I really think it worth it, and for the
> moment, there is nothing else on the market… (in this range of price !)
> I actually also use a Stantum SMK multitouch screen ; very, very promising,
> .. but much more expensive !
> (see this post :
> http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=rview&th=36434&rid=0 )
>
> About Dell Latitude XT : I really doubt that this multitouch screen may one
> day be used as a Lemur / SMK ; have you seen all the demo video of it on
> youtube ? it seems to be VERY inacurate, and I’m not sure that Dell will
> release the API to let you use it as you want in max…
>
> another multitouch solution :
> Fo less than 2000$, you can build yourself a FTIR screen, or a
> reactable… (but you probably won’t be able to carry it in your laptop’s
> bag..)
> some useful links :
> http://mtg.upf.es/reactable/
> http://nuigroup.com/touchlib/
> http://nuigroup.com/
>
> my (multi)two(ch) cents…
>
> MathieU
> ________________
> Mathieu Chamagne
> http://mathieuchamagne.com
> http://www.maxobjects.com
>
>
>
>

#148775
Jan 17, 2009 at 1:24am

Quote: arne wrote on Thu, 15 January 2009 12:34
—————————————————-
> I’m lucky enough to have had a Lemur for over a year. I find it to be extremely easy to use, and that it integrates seamlessly with Max.
>
> My complaints would be the limitations of its UI objects, particularly in comparison to the Max UI: i.e., you can’t build your own, or significantly edit theirs. However, version 2 does offer some improvements and new objects.
>
> When I bought it, I figured something else would come out that was better, and a lot cheaper, within a few months. I was wrong (although many of the iPod OSC apps look very promising).
>
> I’m glad I have one, and won’t use anything else. But it is very, very, expensive.
>
> My two cents,

I agree with Arne. I managed to get a used Lemur for cheap, and really like it. The physics on the controls really make for some cool possibilities. I *could* program that all in Max, but I’m happy not to. Because of that, I use this controller much differently than other things (like tablets).

But ouch, the price.

mz

#148776
Jan 17, 2009 at 6:11pm

>
> I agree with Arne. I managed to get a used Lemur for cheap, and really like it. The physics on the controls really make for some cool possibilities. I *could* program that all in Max, but I’m happy not to. Because of that, I use this controller much differently than other things (like tablets).

>
>

Interested in the “physics” you are talking about, are these like “drag” or “friction” after moving a slider? I’m thinking like the iPhone browsing where you can “throw” in a direction and it’ll decelerate the scrolling to a stop. I can see why these would be very cool to have as an option for certain controls. Definitely could cobble together something for sliders in Max, not too tough, but even better would be a built-in option for simple sliders and pictctrl: “decay” or “friction” factor from 0. to 1., where 1 would act normally (stop where you stop) and 0. would slide on forever (and optionally keep bouncing back and forth). The kind of gestural “throwing” of the controls could be pretty cool to play with for some parameters…

#148777
Jan 18, 2009 at 12:32am

Quote: seejayjames wrote on Sat, 17 January 2009 10:11
—————————————————-

>
> Interested in the “physics” you are talking about, are these like “drag” or “friction” after moving a slider?

Exactly. You can change how attracted to your finger certain controls are and how much friction they have. With low friction, you can fling things around and they’ll bounce for quite a while. Having that available all the time replaces (for me) a lot of little code snippets that introduce jitter and deviation to my sounds.

BTW: Somebody on another thread (Max 4 live) was mentioning a sale on lemurs from JazzMutant.

mz

#148778

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.