Forums > MaxMSP

music with msp emergency

June 5, 2009 | 2:50 am

hi, ive got a uni assignment due next tuesday and ive bitten off more than i can chew. im hoping someone can help me out!
I have to create an interactive music program/patch in max.
I have very little max experience or ability but it is too late to change my project.
i have a pc windows xp running max/msp 5.07
What i would like to do is have a few functions which are able to do the following tasks:

Open wav samples.
Have the ability to loop and tweak these samples
incorporate a drum sequencer of drum machine of some sort that i can create and loop beats ‘live’ while wav sample is looping.
open additional samples
filter those samples
create and incorporate a synth that can be controlled by keys on a windows keyboard.
tweak the output of the synth

Basically i would like to incorporate all of these functions into a user-friendly interface. The concept is to create a simple program interface that enables a ‘user’ to interact with the program, in this case, creating ‘random’ live music. It doesnt sound very innovative but its a concept i must construct. i have tried many tutorials and help files in max but im jsut confused with too much information and not enough time

obi won kenobi youre my only hope…..

June 5, 2009 | 5:00 am

I usually keep my mouth closed wrt to the end of the academic year flourish of "please help me I waited till the last minute" emails from students. Being that I am one of those who is usually giving the assignments, I’m always curious to see if one of my students is asking for a bit too much help (i.e. has anybody done this and can I please have your patch). You are not one of my students, but I have to say something here: as you serious? You have basically given yourself 1 week to build "Live Lite", without any prior knowledge of Max. I know that isn’t helpful, but I can’t hold it in! You are proposing a project that would take at least a term, given no prior Max experience. It’s not necessarily what you are proposing…you can certainly build that in Max…I just question the amount of time you’ve alloted for yourself.

I would suggest you rethink your project based on what you’ve learned so far going thru the tutorials and the examples, and maybe define something that is a bit more manageable. If that isn’t possible, then I’ll repeat what been repeated several times in the last couple weeks: start building some patches, and when you get stuck post your specific question(s) and patch(es) here and I know you’ll get help. My hopefully more helpful advice: start with the core of your problem ("I need to play sound"), get that working, then start adding the other bells and whistles (multiple sounds, looping, fx, etc.). But again, if you want help, you MUST give us something specific to help you with.

And remember, if I’m reading this…chances are your instructor is, too.

David

June 5, 2009 | 10:28 am

sry, but LOL

June 5, 2009 | 8:05 pm
digitaljoel wrote on Thu, 04 June 2009 19:50
hi, ive got a uni assignment due next tuesday and ive bitten off more than i can chew.

Exactly. When my students have come up with such a huge project, I recommend that they choose a part of that project and start there. I would pick: sample playback and tweaking, drum machine, or synthesizer. You’ll be luck to get one done this weekend.

We’d be glad to point you in the right direction for one of these, which objects to look at, etc. Or you could look at your class notes. Smile

mz

June 5, 2009 | 9:13 pm

my price is 6500 Euro.

application will be transmit online when payment has arrived.

immediately draw money to my bank account number, wich
is the following:

June 6, 2009 | 7:55 am

hmmmm,

yes, I’m guessing you’ve had at least a couple of months to start work on this.

It is useful and fun to tinker with the help files and see what happens.
It won’t impress your assessor much but you can copy and paste many elements from help files and combine them.

Here’s some hints off the top of my head but again – there’ll be no marks for originality.
[metro]
60000 / bpm = ms per quarter note.
groove~ and waveform~ help files.
getcolumn message into [matrixctrl]
cycle~
[key]
[coll]
[mtof]
GOOD LUCK.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)