Forums > MaxMSP

mxj editor permission problems

September 4, 2006 | 2:37 pm

hello,
i’m finding that the mxj editor produces a lot of errors on my G5 Quad with latest everything (max 4.6.1, jitter 1.6.1, java 1.5, os 10.4.7). the errors below are produced when i click on ‘viewsource’ in the mxj help file.

seems that there are permission problems writing to the mxjpreferences xml file. could this be because the user who installed max is not the user who’s using max?

a

• error: (mxj) Problem writing preferences to :/Applications/MaxMSP 4.6/Cycling ’74/java/mxjpreferences.xml
• error: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Applications/MaxMSP 4.6/Cycling ’74/java/mxjpreferences.xml (Permission denied)
• error: at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
• error: at java.io.FileOutputStream.(FileOutputStream.java:179)
• error: at java.io.FileOutputStream.
(FileOutputStream.java:70)
• error: at com.cycling74.max.MXJPreferences.writeToDisk(MXJPreferences.java:112)
• error: at com.cycling74.max.MXJPreferences.setMXJCompilerCommmand(MXJPreferences.java:158)
• error: at com.cycling74.max.MXJPreferences.write_compiler_prefs(MXJPreferences.java:657)
• error: at com.cycling74.max.MXJPreferences.(MXJPreferences.java:92)
• error: at com.cycling74.mxjedit.TextAreaDefaults.getDefaults(TextAreaDefaults.java:66)
• error: at com.cycling74.mxjedit.JEditTextArea.(JEditTextArea.java:72)
• error: at com.cycling74.mxjedit.MXJEditor.
(MXJEditor.java:261)
• error: at com.cycling74.max.MaxObject$1.run(MaxObject.java:991)
• error: at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
• error: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
• error: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
• error: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
• error: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
• error: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
• error: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
• error: (mxj) Problem writing preferences to :/Applications/MaxMSP 4.6/Cycling ’74/java/mxjpreferences.xml
• error: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Applications/MaxMSP 4.6/Cycling ’74/java/mxjpreferences.xml (Permission denied)
(FileOutputStream.java:179)
• error: at com.cycling74.max.MXJPreferences.writeToDisk(MXJPreferences.java:112)
• error: at com.cycling74.max.MXJPreferences.setMXJCompilerBuildRoot(MXJPreferences.java:165)
• error: at com.cycling74.max.MXJPreferences.write_compiler_prefs(MXJPreferences.java:658)
• error: at com.cycling74.max.MXJPreferences.(MXJPreferences.java:92)
• error: at com.cycling74.mxjedit.TextAreaDefaults.getDefaults(TextAreaDefaults.java:66)
• error: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
• error: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
• error: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
• error: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
(FileOutputStream.java:179)
• error: at com.cycling74.max.MXJPreferences.savePrefs(MXJPreferences.java:631)
• error: at com.cycling74.max.MXJPreferences.(MXJPreferences.java:94)

September 4, 2006 | 3:07 pm

On 4 sept. 06, at 16:37, Ali Momeni wrote:

> hello,
> i’m finding that the mxj editor produces a lot of errors on my G5
> Quad with latest everything (max 4.6.1, jitter 1.6.1, java 1.5, os
> 10.4.7). the errors below are produced when i click on
> ‘viewsource’ in the mxj help file.
>
> seems that there are permission problems writing to the
> mxjpreferences xml file. could this be because the user who
> installed max is not the user who’s using max?

Ali,

Just make sure you have the writing permission on the java folder.

ej

September 4, 2006 | 3:24 pm

yes, from the looks of the error i had similar ideas of what to make sure of. but i wonder rather how this comes about and how it could be prevented. i haven’t changed any permissions on this machine so it’s just how things got installed by them selves. now i could certainly go messin about and changing permissions but on the other hand, if you install max, you should be able to use the mxj editor without any additional modifications. right?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)