Forums > MaxMSP

mxj not working on my Mac. what's missing?

August 27, 2013 | 2:04 pm

Title says it – I just discovered that mxj objects aren’t loading at all in Max 6.1 (6.1.3) on my MacBookPro. I get "Could not load class xxx" messages.
I tried all of the ejies java externals, and some of the mxjs in the java-doc/tutorial/patches files (autocount1, HelloWorld1 etc).
My assumption is that there is something overall that i haven’t installed. If that’s right, what might it be?

thanks!

Max 6.1.3 OSX 10.8.4. Macbook Pro Retina (Max in 32bit & low resolution modes)

August 27, 2013 | 5:41 pm

Has it ever run on that computer? Java isn’t installed by default on the Mac as of 10.7.

August 27, 2013 | 10:04 pm

Make sure you are running the latest version of Java. A newer version of Max may contain objects that were compiled for a more recent version of Java.. and as Chris mentioned, Mac doesn’t do java by default. So unless you are managing updates yourself, you are probably out of date.

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_mac.xml

August 28, 2013 | 4:17 am

ok – installed the latest version of java.

Tried some mxj objects, and they work (I noticed that the tutorial examples need to be compiled first – so that’s why they wouldn’t work before – my bad).

The ejies java externals (which is where i started with this) still don’t work though – so I’ll email Emmanuel again – unless anyone has any suggestions aboit why none of them would work?

thanks

August 28, 2013 | 2:39 pm

ha!

emmanuel suggested –

move ej.jar to the /Applications/Max 6.1/Cycling ’74/java/lib folder

(from /Documents/Max/Packages/eijies_3.12/java-classes)

and that fixed it.

Is that a bug in Packages?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)