Forums > MaxMSP

Need help rearranging a long list

September 14, 2013 | 8:17 am

so I have this somewhat ugly contraption:

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

- it’s designed to slice a 256-member basically into 8 32-step elements, but in a type of interlaced fashion.

I guess what I’d kill for is a "zl lace" process that allowed me to set the laces, so to speak.

Does this exist?
cheers

September 14, 2013 | 9:30 am

This past post might be applicable (i.e., tweakable) for your task.

September 14, 2013 | 10:12 am

ah, cool – how does iterating huge lists like this fare in a real-time patch, I wonder.

September 14, 2013 | 11:20 am

One way to find out… :)

I wouldn’t suggest displaying the result in a message box as I did in that example. But the rest of the operations should be fairly economical, I’d think. And if you know the length of your lists in advance, you can dispense with the zl len object.

September 14, 2013 | 2:01 pm

yeah, I reckon it’s worth a hack, hehe.

(I only just figured out @outsize on unjoin – I think there’s still a lot of black box things to discover in Max, many years into it. It’s good, keeps us on our toes! :) )

September 15, 2013 | 3:16 am

here’s how I would do it..

September 15, 2013 | 5:59 pm

There’s Mxj list.multiplex. (And its counterpart list.Demultiplex)

It has variable numbers of inputs. Wish we had a full fledged C implementation of these objects…

September 16, 2013 | 3:00 am

Thanks for your version, too Metamax
@Peter, yeah I’ve been playing around with list.multiplex and list.demultiplex since yesterday, but I can’t really get it to do the above list conversion – I can set the *amount* of "laces", but if I do list.demultiplex 2 I still get alternating selections only 1 member wide, etc.

September 16, 2013 | 6:02 am

You can always make your own multiplexer.. :)

[matrixctrl] + [router]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)