Forums > Jitter

Need Help Turning Image into Sound

Liz
December 1, 2006 | 7:31 pm

I am currently trying to execute a project that involves turning still images into sound (preferably something like a soundscape). I would really appreciate some assistance as to how I might go about doing this as I am new to this software. Websites that I could look at would be useful too. Thanks.

Liz

December 1, 2006 | 7:41 pm

>I am currently trying to execute a project that involves turning
>still images into sound (preferably something like a soundscape). I
>would really appreciate some assistance as to how I might go about
>doing this as I am new to this software. Websites that I could look
>at would be useful too. Thanks.

It’s always a nice idea to start with what you already have -
for example, in the Examples/Jitter/Audio folder that got
installed with Jitter. There are certainly some ideas there.

on the floor there’s a long wooden table/on the table there’s an open book/
on the page there’s a detailed drawing/and on the drawing is the name I took
Gregory Taylor http://www.rtqe.net

December 1, 2006 | 8:22 pm

December 2, 2006 | 7:00 am

I think the most elementary example of this would be to

1. break the image up into larger color fields using a jit.matrix.

2. you can then determine the color of each color field (ie. pixel of color) and determine the color (maybe reference the basic rgb scale of 256).

3. if you divide 256 by 2 you have 128 (subtract one and you have your basic midi range).

4. these midi numbers could translate into frequency or a list of samples in a file. you could then call these numbers one at a time, or in groups to play a song or soundscape.

-oliver

December 2, 2006 | 10:41 am

It’s a classic proposition, and deals with one basic discrepancy between sound and image: an image is static while a sound has the component of time. This means that the image must be scanned in over a period of time in some manner.

One off-the-hand idea is to use jit.histogram with output to jit.iter. It will give you a list of number-pairs corresponding with color values, the first number being the propensity of a certain color in the image (the colors in this case are values from 0 to 255) and the second number is the color value. Jit.iter can then supply you with an ordered list of values. The trick (besides knowing a fair amount about how to use Max/MSP/Jitter in the first place) is to decide how you want to look at the image; you will have to "scan" it, looking at one or a few rows of pixels at a time and panning across (or down.) This will give you a steady stream of values, which must then be converted into either MIDI messages or some type of audio control.

Good luck!

December 3, 2006 | 3:41 am

After leaving ICMC at Tulane, I looked through the proceedings at some of the papers I missed. I was astounded how many papers there were on this question of imaging sound and sonifying images. Obviously, there are several ways to go at this, but one of the things that seems interesting is the capability of using image processing tools on sound and vice versa. I know there are some folks out there playing around with these ideas, and that there is even the possibility of some practical application of them. I haven’t gotten around to reading those papers yet–maybe between semesters…

Tim

December 3, 2006 | 4:59 pm

see also the max mailing list archives, this question comes up often.
(the "old" archives)

best
evan

On Dec 3, 2006, at 3:41 AM, Tim wrote:

>
> After leaving ICMC at Tulane, I looked through the proceedings at
> some of the papers I missed. I was astounded how many papers there
> were on this question of imaging sound and sonifying images.
> Obviously, there are several ways to go at this, but one of the
> things that seems interesting is the capability of using image
> processing tools on sound and vice versa. I know there are some
> folks out there playing around with these ideas, and that there is
> even the possibility of some practical application of them. I
> haven’t gotten around to reading those papers yet–maybe between
> semesters…
>
> Tim
> –
> Tim Thompson
>
> Assoc. Professor of Music
> Palm Beach Atlantic University

Liz
December 8, 2006 | 10:02 pm

Thank you for responding to my request for help. Your suggestion is a very good one. Perhaps a silly question but can I import the image directly into jit.histogram or should I connect it using another object?

December 9, 2006 | 2:33 am

hi,

there are very good tutorials for max (basic), msp (sound) and jitter (video). i am afraid you have to go throug all those…

good luck,

pe

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)