Forums > MaxMSP

Need Help With Exponential Inc/Dec Bangs Patch

September 4, 2008 | 12:52 am

Here’s a patch I created in an attempt to emulate one of the most common rhythmic patterns found in IDM, the exponentially inc/dec. However, it doesn’t seem to be working. It seems simple enough, and I have clearly defined what each part of the patch is supposed to be doing, yet it’s just not working. :-( Here’s the patch. Let me know if there’s any questions, or hopefully, answers. Much thanks!

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

September 4, 2008 | 1:39 am

I think the main problem is the way that the second counter is controlling the gate. It looks like you want the carry flag to change the gate every Y bangs, but it won’t work this way. The carry flag is set to one when the maximum is reached, but it is reset to zero on the next bang, so your gate is only momentarily switched to the second outlet (as opposed to alternating in equal durations). The counter’s third outlet could be connected to a button, followed by a [counter 0 0 1] or a toggle to get this kind of alternation.

Also, there might be some issues when you change the initial time value; if the gate is open, then any value you send to the flonum at the top of the screen will automatically be halved or doubled (except when you first open the patch, since the gate starts out closed by default).

September 4, 2008 | 1:47 am

> The counter’s third outlet could be connected to a button, followed by a [counter 0 0 1] or a toggle to get this kind of alternation.

Oops, what I meant to say was that the third outlet could be connected to a [select 1] followed by a [counter 0 0 1] or toggle. The whole point is to filter out the zeros from the carry flag.

September 4, 2008 | 1:58 am

doh! Carry flag was set to numeric as opposed to bang. Here’s the patch working (with a minor adjustment to the 2nd counter’s maximum setting):

September 4, 2008 | 2:23 am

On Sep 3, 2008, at 5:52 PM, Kyle Kaplan wrote:

> Here’s a patch I created in an attempt to emulate one of the most
> common rhythmic patterns found in IDM, the exponentially inc/dec.

I don’t think this quite does what you want yet, but it may get you
closer:

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com

MIB
September 4, 2008 | 2:47 am

a slightly different approach…

September 4, 2008 | 2:50 am

It looks like the carry flag setting (numeric vs. bang) is not saved when the patch is copied compressed and goes back to the default numeric mode. I’m not sure whether this is typical for settings set with the inspector.

September 4, 2008 | 3:07 am

to stephen: yea, i had gotten the 2nd patch i posted working, but then tried it out again and found i had the problem of some how having the division occur one more time than the multiplication, which eventually leads to exponentially diminishing values. I should’ve spent some time trying to figure it out, but was struck with another approach that I feel is more interesting (and works!):

chris, thanks for the corrections. your patch is what my original intention was.

MIB – a different, interesting approach. thanks for the input :-D

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)