Need to interact with 20-25 people.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:47pm

Need to interact with 20-25 people.

I’m building an interactive installation and need to be able to easily have around 25 receivers for people to interact with a stand alone patch. Preferably all wireless. Any ideas if I’m able to find 25 on/off bluetooth ‘buttons’ or something similar?

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:05pm

I’ve been using these wireless Xbee boards with rechargeable LiPo batteries. Works great.

http://www.sensestage.eu/?page_id=48

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:19pm

I wouldn’t go for Bluetooth as it is quite sensitive for interferences whereas also its operating range is limited.

Zigbee/Xbee boards are probably the way to go, as dtr already suggested. You can have them linked as mesh and have a master which connects to your computer.

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:01am

Bluetooth= max 8 (and kind of buggy)
indeed Zigbee/Xbee would be most of the shelf solution, since the blackwidow wi-fi arduino board aren’t available anymore

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:24pm

since I’ve been arduino hacking a little bit recently…if what you are looking for is 25 on/offs, better user experience than button switches might be capacitance switches on a remote arduino/wireless (such as the older ‘XBee’ wireless board, now arduino group has own official wireless board)…capacitance switches: easy, *easy* set up on two pins , simple tested lib, only requires metal foil, wire, 1 resistor, opt capacitor: even a sight challenged soldering newbie like me had no prob setting one up, and w/ lower resistor values it can be triggered from short distance away ( no touch needed) (and can be disguised with any thin non metallic surface.) perhaps the arduino uno & wireless ‘shield’ (=piggyback hardware functional addition) @ circa $70-75 us is not too much?…the board pair is fairly small, easy to power (6 to <12 vdc, takes std wallwart 9 volt plug, kind to good batteries), just an idea...g'luck.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:58am

Just an idea, without knowing anything about your setup,
Rig up a way for people to send messages via their smartphones ;)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.