new comer

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:47pm

new comer

Hi everybody,
I will install jitter in a couple of days. I want to make a sound+image installation, using max/msp. I want to put a camera on the top of the room and via jitter the camera will do the motion tracking of a person that enters the room, influencing in this way parameters of the audio and the image.
Can I do that with Jitter??
please help me…

thanks a lot

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:16pm

Yes, this is indeed possible, but it’s not something that you can build in a day, or in a week, especially when you’re new to Max and Jitter.

The motion tracking you should do with some external (eg. openCV), you can find more threads about this on the forum, but here’s one:

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=80068&rid=0&srch=opencv#msg_80068

Then converting these into parameters should be relatively easy, but i’m not sure how complicated you want to make this. Do you need multiple mappings, params that influence each other, etc.

As for the audio itself, do you want to do everything in MSP or can you use some other program, like logic with vst plugins? Doing everything with MSP will pose a challenge when you’re new, i think. The difficulty of outputting image again depends entirely on what you want to do with it.

Overall, if this is something that you need to have up and running by next month, i don’t think it’s such a great idea. Do you have any experience with similar languages? Making a good plan about what you’re going to do exactly will help a lot in making a time estimate. Good luck!

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:17pm

panos amelides wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I will install jitter in a couple of days. I want to make a sound+image installation, using max/msp. I want to put a camera on the top of the room and via jitter the camera will do the motion tracking of a person that enters the room, influencing in this way parameters of the audio and the image.
> Can I do that with Jitter??

yes. download also cv.jit. when you read the tutorials focus on these
objects:
jit.qt.grab, jit.change, jit.rgb2luma, jit.slide, jit.op, cv.jit.erode,
cv.jit.dilate cv.jit.centroids. the rest depends on what you want to do.
if you have subregions that trigger actions, then use jit.submatrix
before the submatrix.
all right?
marius.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.