Forums > Jitter

New Mac Book Pro with Retina display

June 15, 2012 | 1:49 pm

Anyone else thinking of moving to the new MBP with Retina display?

In reading reviews it seems that there is a concern that the new Retina display will use more of the GPU/Video RAM and actually have worse gl performance for gaming. This worries me as a primary use for my laptop is rendering gl via Jitter in live visuals.

Any thoughts or concerns on the video specs in the new MBP?

June 15, 2012 | 3:26 pm

if you use a second display for fullscreen mode you should be fine?

June 15, 2012 | 3:46 pm

theoretically, it should be possible to connect 3 Full HD outputs.
1 hdmi and 2 thunderbold (via adaptor)

but i think there is a gpu limit
2880 x 1800 + 3 x 1920 x 1080

the second question is, how it will perform.

it would be nice, if someone could test this out :-)
best,
l.

June 15, 2012 | 4:03 pm

Yeah looks pretty amazing. Reminds me of the move to MacBook Pros 6 years ago or whatever it was. The 15" came out first, and was followed by the rest.

I’ve really become a 13" guy, so I’m hoping the 13" slim/retina one comes out by the time I can afford one.

June 15, 2012 | 4:29 pm

i was quite happy to see a new macbook pro.
the specs seem really nice, hefty and everything.
the issue[s] i have with it are just a long standing thing that happens with apple. they get rid of technology that is widely used.

• no disk drive. i get that they are trying to go towards a more sleek and download universe, but sometimes, if not 25% of the time you need to do a disk. hard backups etc. it is useful still.
maybe having a blu-ray or HD disk drive could have been good. i wouldnt want to buy an external one and use up precious usb ports [see third point ;)]

• the lack of firewire 800. again they are trying to go ahead and bring something new to the table by having hd out and the such. but firewire 800 is still a hugely used format in a lot of bedroom/semi big studios.

• not even putting in a third usb port. this still baffles me. they take out so much from the computer to put in new tech, its good, but not even having a third usb port can get annoying. sure we can get hubs and the like, but if you are taking out other tech, at least and to the ones you will keep.
so many times i have needed that third port.

i was really looking forward to the new macbook pro, mainly for specs and the yummy 16gb of ram. but the features they have taken out are still things i personally use from day to day. so this is not an option for me.
though they have updated the previous model, so that can be an option.
but the retina display is a nice touch, great with an external monitor.

i do feel the more apple do for their kit, the more they take away from the musician.
sorry i seemed to have turned this forum post into something else ;)

thats just my views anyhow. dont worry im not red in the face about this ;)

l.

June 15, 2012 | 5:20 pm

I think the 2 thunderbolts is pretty funny when I’ve yet to see anybody use the one they already have.

June 15, 2012 | 7:15 pm

I’m glad they dropped the CD, and can live without the FW800. Once they dropped the FW400 it was clear this was gonna happen (my new audio card is USB as a result).

I’d prefer this kind of approach to a bloated windows laptop with a full sized VGA port on the side, and god forbid a floppy drive and phone modem…

June 15, 2012 | 10:44 pm

I went and played with one at the store and overall was pretty impressed by the machine itself. Problem is you don’t have direct access to this resolution and apps are going to have to be re-written so they don’t look like garbage.
Logic looked kind of crummy honestly – definitely due for a respin. Lets hope they don’t buy Cycling74 and turn Max into the Environment:)

Final Cut and Aperture looked nice, but nothing mind-blowing.

We inquired about purchasing several units for work through Apples business division and the guy was basically too cool to really bother helping us.

Bit of a turnoff really

June 16, 2012 | 2:57 am

This is kind of a bummer: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/opinion-apple-retina-displa/

The no drive thing doesn’t bother me (I took mine out and put in a second 500gb hd), but the inability to upgrade easily is not cool.

June 16, 2012 | 10:06 am

all of this just directs me towards a hackintosh.
stick with snow leopard, and get a suitable laptop to hack. even with the money you would spend on a macbook pro, you could throw in a hackintosh tower as well and still have change.

there was a website that sold hackintoshs ready and suited.
but here is something more fun

http://nofilmschool.com/build-a-hackintosh/

dtr
June 16, 2012 | 10:41 am

Yeah I went the hackintosh route for my desktop. When my MBP dies I’ll probably hackintosh a laptop as well. I don’t have the cash for buying apple systems with the specs I need. And I’m fed up with Apple’s imperialism, much worse than Microsoft ever was. Still prefer OSX over Windows though. If only there was Max for Linux…

IMO this is the best hackintosh resources site: http://www.tonymacx86.com/

June 16, 2012 | 10:47 am

bookmarked dtr ;)

aye, everything for me is just going backwards for myself and apple, im losing interest. still like snow leopard, but i think that could be it in the end, when i truly think about it.
sure the enclosures are amazing and well built and look good, but where should that stop and having an actual computer to help you with no fuss come into play.
i think apple is doing too much of the style over substance. taking away creativity, just to make the housing look cooler.

was thinking of linux myself. but since no max for linux or ableton, then im a bit stuck for a third option

Jan
June 16, 2012 | 11:19 am

In theory – at least according to the specs thunderbolt is backwards compatible to FireWire 800. so adapters or device that adapt the signal are possible to produce. so far I have only seen this build in into external screens – and as I do not want to carry a screen with me just to connect my audio interfaces I guess I’ll stick with my existing machine for a while. ..

The lack of an optical drive would’ t be such a problem for me if also not-mainstream-content especial old material would be available; and if I would have a mobile broadband internet connection with a data flat rate in every country i work and I never ever have to go to video archives to see/rent stuff :-)

But lets face it – artists are not the main target group of the company (Apple) anymore – because we produce more than we consume. Being popular among creatives was a good momentum for the company to become cool/hip/hot. But that has changed in my opinion; the image-transfer goes now from the company to the artist : I am a cool artist because i work with all the iThings – (don’t get me wrong I truly like a lot of the engineering they do!).

So maybe we shall call this "Digital Gentrification" – Apple the Prenzlauer Berg of computing! ;)

J.

June 21, 2012 | 1:29 pm

Check this out. Pretty exciting but still skeptical on what fps you’d get when doing this.

The Retina MacBook Pro can drive four screens simultaneously: http://gizmodo.com/5920134/the-retina-macbook-pro-can-drive-four-screens-simultaneously

dtr
June 21, 2012 | 1:55 pm

Now it gets really fun when you hook up a triplehead2go on each of these outputs ;)

(ps: i was able to run 3 triplehead2go’s on my hackintosh desktop, although i didn’t have 9 displays to test all the outputs, but 3 displays – 1 on each th2go – were working simultaneously)

June 23, 2012 | 1:09 pm

was wondering regarding 3htg as well, before handing over the cash to apple.
how was the rendering of 3 displays??
tq.

dtr
June 23, 2012 | 6:11 pm

> how was the rendering of 3 displays??

What do you mean?

About the th2go, i use it all the time for driving 3 800×600 beamers. Works great. You have to be aware that to the computer it looks like 1 large screen, not 3 individual ones.

And there ‘s a problem with Apple mini-displayports. AFAIK only the mDP version of the th2go works reliably on mDP macs (mDP adapters to VGA/DVI don’t work either). I have the digital (DVI) edition and it indeed had trouble on the mDP macs that I tried, using adapters.

June 24, 2012 | 4:00 pm

hello dtr,

have the same problem with my mbp from 2011 with minidisplayport > dvi > matrox triplehead (dvi edition)
i can not use all possible resolutions. which works great with my 4 years old mbp …

i contacted the matrox support, because i thought this is a driver problem.
first, they adviced me to buy a thtg displayport edition.

but after a few mais i got the information, that the problem is the adaptor cable.

here is the mail:

From a technical standpoint, The TripleHead2Go Digital edition requires a dual link DVI signal in order to operate. The Apple DP to DVI adaptor provide a single link DVI-D signal, if you do get an image with this adaptor, it will be a very low resolution in the range of 2400 x 600 (3 x 800 x 600). In addition, based on our test and observation, this type of connection configuration could provide an unstable video signal to the Matrox unit thus, resulting to the lost of image on your monitors.

perhaps we should give this adaptor a try:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB571Z/A

best,
l

dtr
June 24, 2012 | 4:48 pm

Ha! Well if that’s true then bollocks to Matrox for trying to make everyone buy their DP edition…

Btw, I have used at least one Apple mDP-DVI adapter in the 3 x th2go test on my hackintosh desktop. It worked fine and it wasn’t the big adapter you linked. Although I think they have dual-link in smaller form factor as well. Or was it a mDP-VGA adapter? Confused now… Not sure what resolution I tried either.

Anyway, if anyone can test to confirm, that ‘d be great!

June 24, 2012 | 10:46 pm

sorry to say this dtr , but the only one you will get decent and usable results with on a miniDisplayPort mac is the DP edition.
I got the dual link adaptor when the first MBP with miniDisplayPort came out, based on recommendation but no guarantee from matrox support.
This turned out to be completely unusable with the th2g digital edition, not only because of low resolution but the output was completely screwed up.

dtr
June 25, 2012 | 6:37 am

That’s what I thought. Anyway, my aging MBP and new hack desktop have DVI (and mDP that works…) so I’m not troubled with my digital edition th2go. It’s just when people want to borrow it I often have to disappoint them because they have newer MBP’s.

June 25, 2012 | 12:44 pm

Apple announced a thunderbolt to FireWire 800 adapter cable at the same time as the retina MacBook. http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/3078439/apple-accessories-thunderbolt-firewire-800-gigabit-ethernet

I’m interested to see when Max goes retina. Not sure it’ll look very pretty until then!

S

June 27, 2012 | 7:35 am

We can provide you [url=http://www.u7buy.com/the-secret-world/the-secret-world-power-leveling.html]The Secret World Power Leveling[/url]. Purchasing [url=http://www.u7buy.com/the-secret-world/the-secret-world-power-leveling.html]TSW power leveling[/url] get your ideal characters at the shortest time. Best Power leveling service can save more time for you enjoy the game! we will start your order in 10-15 minutesonce your payment confirmed. The best place for you to

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)