Forums > MaxMSP

New MAC Keyboard, Numbered Triggering Layout

July 7, 2008 | 11:28 am

Hello Everyone In Max Land,

I have nearly finished going through the Max Tutorials again, also noticing about using the keyboard a lot to trigger video, samples, etc.

Anyhow, i had a good idea. Max does give you an example of what keys you press, it then gives you the number in which that key means using [key] and [int]. It displays the number of the said key is in the number box, which is good.

But i felt lost later, especially when wanting to use the keys and forgetting the number to what key is which. When wanting to build a small trigger patch.

Anyhow, i have made a little picture (gif format). With each of the keys, with there number in the key box. Its a nice little guide, and has come in handy already. Such as Q=113, W=149, etc.

So i have put it up here for you all to have as well.
Keep in mind this is for the new MAC keyboards, so i dont know if it is different to the old ones. If it is different, i will do another one for the old model later.

Anyhow, hope this comes in handy for anybody. It has already for me. I printed it out and kept it with a Max/MSP guide that i am building up

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=1787&private=0[/img]

DF
July 7, 2008 | 12:08 pm

heres a handy little utility I use for remembering key codes:
so simple it hurts, but:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

July 7, 2008 | 5:12 pm

Tim Harris schrieb:
> so simple it hurts, but:

Oh yes, it doesn’t do anything…
Maybe something is missing?
Did you copy compress only the presentation objects?

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

DF
July 7, 2008 | 5:43 pm

ah yes mus have done, apologies.
All it is is a little window using the [key] object and number boxes, just handy to have in the corner of the screen if you’re needing some key information.
DF

July 8, 2008 | 9:34 am

You can simply open up key.maxhelp to see what key produces which values. Since you presumably already have a key object in your patch, all it takes is an option-click.

Another trick is to open up a Terminal window and type ‘man ascii’ at the command prompt.

Note that ASCII codes encode the *character set*. This is independent of keyboard layout.

July 10, 2008 | 2:27 am

that’s nice, and definitely helps for ascii numbering… however, if you send the [key] output through sprintf %c, it turns the codes back into the corresponding letters. Then use "route a b c d e f 1 2 3 Q W E R T Y" etc. Much more human-readable and remember-able than ascii…

This won’t work with space, Tab, or other non-printing characters. you need the ascii/select for those, just use a separate branch from [key]. Also you might stay away from using semicolons as triggers, they’re kind of special to max :)

–CJ

July 11, 2008 | 10:22 am

thanks Lewis !

printing it out right now !

take care

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)