Forums > MaxMSP

new table features?!?!?!?

April 15, 2009 | 6:27 am

Since when did table have the awesome pencil, line and (maybe awesome?) select tools?

…what does the select tool do? I realize it selects a range of values but it doesn’t seem to actually ‘do’ anything.

April 15, 2009 | 6:42 am

I might be imagining it, but I think the line tool was there from a much earlier version of Max 5. I feel like I saw it months ago, but I don’t use table much so I’m not sure.

The select tool, hmm. If you check the reference file for itable, it mentions a 4th tool called the "move" tool. I didn’t play around with it, but I’d guess you need to select an area in order to move it…

April 15, 2009 | 7:25 am
Quote:
I might be imagining it, but I think the line tool was there from a much earlier version of Max 5. I feel like I saw it months ago, but I don’t use table much so I’m not sure.

Yep it’s there since 5.0.

The select tool allows you to make selection to cut/copy/paste using the corresponding functions in the Edit menu.

April 15, 2009 | 11:42 am

Strangely, these were all documented in about Max 2.2. And are there on the oldest Max I have on this machine (4.5). Did they done go missing for a while?

April 15, 2009 | 11:59 am

Nope. It’s just that as the itable didn’t exist before Max 5.

April 15, 2009 | 12:13 pm

Ouais… I thought Nick was talking about the ‘il-y-a-son-propre-fênetre’ version of table. I did notice that a couple of things I never used went missing from table (la version vanille simple) with Max 5.0… I should check if they’re back now.

April 15, 2009 | 5:04 pm

I don’t use table that often either, which is why I didn’t notice until now.

Anyway, pretty cool! I like the line function a lot. And I bet the select/copy/paste could be useful someday.

…and yes, I was talking about table and not itable. Table has the nice GUI buttons while apparently itable requires the inspector to switch tools. This is understandable since its built in to the GUI.

April 15, 2009 | 11:49 pm
Quote:
Table has the nice GUI buttons while apparently itable requires the inspector to switch tools. This is understandable since its built in to the GUI.

Well, it’s similar to the way waveform~ works, isn’t it? You have messages to select the mode of interaction (with the tool attribute). There’s even a secret feature that we may reveal at some point… If you are coming to Expo ’74 maybe you’ll get a chance Wink

April 16, 2009 | 12:47 am

Its not the move/hand tool is it? This currently is nonfunctional.

Also, while we’re here. It seems that the documentation got the select and line tool attribute values mixed up.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

I was debating the expo 74 thing but ultimately decided not to go.

April 16, 2009 | 9:45 am
Nick Inhofe wrote on Thu, 16 April 2009 02:47
Its not the move/hand tool is it? This currently is nonfunctional.

Also, while we’re here. It seems that the documentation got the select and line tool attribute values mixed up.

I noticed that after replying there’s a couple of things which are not correct in the ref. Will have it fixed for the next incremental. The handtool should not be accessible via message. Thanks for noticing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)