Forums > MaxMSP

new to max and just have a quick question

June 24, 2011 | 1:14 am

before i go out and buy this program i am wondering if it can do what i want.
the program i want to make is well i think pretty simple i want to be able to strum a note on the guitar and for it to show up on a screen i also want to be able to play a song a in the program and play a song myself and have the program tell me where i went wrong i guess you could say like a music tutor program

June 24, 2011 | 2:06 am

I’m pretty sure not natively, sorry. You might be able to build something like this but it won’t just "do it" out of the box so to speak. Max is a pretty serious, albeit unorthodox programming language.

Having said that, I don’t know what your level of experience is or how much time you might take to build something like this. So I don’t want to leap to conclusions about your post. Something like this might be more or less possible. To get a better sense of whether it’s possible you should hunt around and see if anyone else has built something like this.

Maybe others on the forum have a different opinion. But just wanted to give you the heads up.

June 24, 2011 | 3:19 pm

Monophonic (or 1 note at a time) is doable with fiddle~ or sigmund~ but polyphonic or chord recognition is more difficult. It would be easier if you had a midi pick-up on your guitar.

Jan
June 24, 2011 | 4:02 pm

Best download the demo and start with the tutorials. Than you get an impression what it is.

j

June 25, 2011 | 6:25 am

I don’t know how much experience do you have or how much time you might take to build something like this. first you update your post.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)